Chapter 13

Lucy stirs from her sleep; there is someone knocking on the door, calling her name. Shielding her eyes from the daylight sun, she slowly opens them. Squinting, she takes a look around- confused to the unfamiliar surroundings. Panic starts to bubble inside her chest; she does not know where she is. All she knows is that she is in a rather, lavish looking bedroom- contrary to the apartment where they live in.

That's when reality dawns on her. She now remembers having a fight with her husband and going to the judge. She is in Judge Turpin's house- bedroom. A sigh of relief escapes her and, she slumps back down the bed- not even realizing that she abruptly sits up straight a while ago in panic. She is about to sleep again when she hears her name being called, followed by a soft knock.

Flinging the covers to the side, she grabs the robe on the side of her bed and puts it on- tightening the knot to cover her body. Wearing her slippers- provided by The Judge-, she pads towards the door and opens it. In front she stands the one and only honourable Judge Turpin. He is smiling down at her, holding a stem of red rose. He hands the flower to her, kissing her hand. She blushes in response and murmurs a 'thank you'.

"Good Morning, Mrs- Lucy. I hate to disturb you in your sleep but, it is time for breakfast now. We wouldn't want you missing the first meal of the day- and I say, the most important one, won't we?" he says, smirking as he quirks an eyebrow up.

She nods timidly.

Judge Turpin turns and walks away but, he calls after her again- turning his head to the side. "The dining's down the hall, third door to your left."

With that, she closes the door and proceeds to change back to the dress she is wearing last night.
____________________________________

After changing to a more appropriate dress, Lucy goes down to the dining area. The Judge is already there, seated at the head of the table. Beadle Bamford is also present, seated at the right of The Judge. He appears to be eating already.

She walks towards Judge Turpin- to his left- passing the line of maids that are standing on the side- hungrily gazing at the food served on the table. She thinks of asking why they are not eating since they are not doing anything- and they all look hungry- but, she does not want to question The Judge.

Judge Turpin stands and moves the chair for her; she takes a seat and thanks him. Seeing that Judge Turpin has not started eating yet, her cheeks redden, feeling embarrassed for keeping him wait. She ducks her head down to hide her blush. Then, a hand softly taps her on the shoulder, she looks up to find The Judge's worried face staring at her.

"Is there something wrong?" The Beadle stops eating and looks up to her, to see. When she shakes her head no, Beadle Bamford shrugs and continues eating- while The Judge lightly squeezes her shoulder. She smiles at him in reassurance.

"Let's eat, then." The Judge says. He starts taking food, placing them on Lucy's plate.

While The Judge is concentrating on filling Lucy's plate, she glances up at him. She smiles to herself, liking how the man in front of her treats her so nicely. She feels very special around him- like a queen. It is not that her husband treats her badly; it's just that she feels so distant with him now. Or maybe she just feels differently because they are not in good terms right now- yes, that's it.
____________________________________
Benjamin wakes up to hearing loud crashing noises. He moves to get out of bed to check if maybe Lucy has come back, but then he falls with a thud; he is now face to face with the floor. Groaning, he lifts himself up into a sitting position. Upon looking around, he realizes that he is in Mrs. Lovett's parlour- a common occurrence. He immediately stands up, wobbling slightly. He then goes out to the shop to look for the baker.