Chapter 17

Mrs. Lovett stays rooted on her spot as she waits for Ben, who is obviously looking for her- to approach them. She takes a glance at Mr. Harris, he seems to be ignoring the fact that the man who just threatened him is in there with them- or he has not noticed Ben yet? He is just casually eating his pie and smiling at the baker in between bites.

Mrs. Lovett knows that in any minute now, Ben will find her. She does not know what she will say to him. To be honest, she's still quite angry with him for not standing up for her yesterday when Lucy's enjoying harassing her. Yet, she knows deep in her heart that he cannot stick up for her- even if he wants to, because she's not the wife; the legal is the only one who has the right.

She hears someone clears their throat behind her. Before she can turn around, she sees Mr. Harris looks up; by the way his expression darkens, she already knows who it is. Slowly, she turns around and finds Ben hovering over her, with his hands folded in his chest. He is scowling at her- for whatever reason it may be, she doesn't know.

"What can I do for you, Mr. Barker?" she says, standing up and facing Ben with her hands on her hips.

Ben ignores her and walks past right her instead, making Mrs. Lovett confused. She follows him with her gaze; he goes to stand in front of Mr. Harris who seems to not mind the barber, at all.

"What are you doing here?" Benjamin asks through gritted teeth; his hands are balled in fist- ready to strike, and his jaw is clenched shut.

Mr. Harris looks at Ben with a smirk planted on his handsome face- irritating the barber even more. "I believe Mr... uh- Barker, is it? That it is none of your business if I've chosen to dine here or not."

Not happy with his answer, Ben lunges forward, grabbing Mr. Harris at the collar of his shirt. Their face only inches apart; the barber is breathing so hard, while David is his composed self. They stay like that, fortunately not attracting attention from the people around the shop. Ben only let the man go when he feels a pair of hands hugging him from behind, pulling him away.

He turns to look at the person behind him, and is surprised to see the furious face of Mrs. Lovett. She immediately lets go of him when his attention is on her. Crossing her arms and glaring at the barber, she asks coldly. "Mr. Barker, did you purposely come here to attack my customers? If so, then I suggest you leave. I can't have you scaring them away."

Then, the baker turns to Mr. Harris before Ben can answer her rhetorical question. Her expression instantly morphs into worry as she sees the badly beaten man. She goes directly to him, putting her hand on his shoulder, she asks in concern. "Are you hurt, Mr. Harris? Is there anything I can do for you?"

Mr. Harris smiles and boldly takes her hand that's on his shoulder, caressing the back of it with his thumb. "Thank you, Madame. I am quite alright."

Mrs. Lovett blushes; she can feel the blood running down her neck. She withdraws her hand and brushes her skirt, wiping off imaginary dusts. She tries to fight the smile creeping on her face, but fails to do so. Instead, she just bows her head down and hoping to hide it from Mr. Harris.

A tap on her shoulder makes her whip her head up. As she looks for the owner of the hand, she sees that it belongs to the barber. She scowls at him, slightly irritated at seeing him still there inside her shop. She wonders if he is just stubborn or that he does not get it that she wants him to leave.

"What?" she huffs in annoyance, and crosses her arms to her chest.

Ben's brows furrow in confusion. He knows that what he just did is wrong, but he is merely protecting her from that pervert. It's as if she has forgotten what that guy has done to her last night. Well, in her state, she must have forgotten. Did she forget what she said, too? He'll see.