Chapter 28 - Scorched Earth

Start from the beginning

Like I said earlier, Emynth controlled her fire to keep the school buildings and other properties intact, but the same could not be said for the Khaos Brigade or the flora.

The entire area within the large barrier looked like a wasteland. Countless piles of ash littered the ground and some speckles floated in the air. Smoke filled the air and blocked most light from the nearby lamps. 

It looked like London's Great Smog of 1952.

There was not a single piece of greenery left in sight. No tree, grass blade, or other plantlife survived. They too were reduced to ashes.

Not a single soul could be seen other than our group.

Although the flames were long gone, the effect they had was just as powerful.

"No. . . one," Serafall finally said. Even her normally cute and cheery personality was quelled by the current sight. "There's. . . no one. . . left."

A little tear rolled down her cheek.

They all looked at me--then at the dragon staring down at them--in horror.

I walked up to her and wiped away her tear. "Don't worry. Not everyone's gone. Only the Khaos Brigade. Yes, I know the guards you brought here are also gone, but you supernatural folk should know best that there is no reward without some sort of sacrifice." I grabbed her hands and put them together and squeezed them. "So don't cry Lady Leviathan. We are safe, the enemy is gone. Rebuilding all of this is only a matter of time."

"But, what about Rias? And Issei? And Azazel?" She asked worriedly. Her red eyes threatened to spill more tears.

Ah yes, them. Naturally, we couldn't forget the Gremory heiress and the Grigori leader. They too are important figures.

"As I said before, don't worry. They are safe. All of them took cover indoors before the flames reached them. They are alive, I can personally assure you of that," I told everyone. "If I can't even protect my own girlfriend, what kind of fanfiction protagonist am I?"

Serafall giggled slightly after I gave my assurance. "Fanfiction protagonist? What's that?"

"Don't worry about it."

From the thick cloud of smoke in the air, we heard a cry: "Brother! Sona! My peerage!"

"Rias!" Everyone gave a sigh of relief.

Emerging from the smoke was Rias, with Issei, Gasper, and Koneko behind her. Gasper and Koneko's clothes were slightly torn, most likely from a scuffle with the magicians. My eye twitched, but all the magicians were already dead.

Rias gave almost everyone a hug when she reached our group. Koneko jumped into my arms the moment she saw me.

"Y/n!" She cried into my shoulder. "You came!"

I caressed her head softly to comfort her. "That's what she said," I chuckled. "Of course I did. I told you I would always keep you safe, wouldn't I?"

She beat her little fists into my shoulder, forgetting to hold back her Rook-strength. Ouch. "But you didn't! I was captured with Gasper!"

"I know, I know. And I'm so sorry for that. I know I couldn't keep my word, but I also know that I can't always be there for you. So I promise I will do my very best to protect you, no matter what. No guarantees, but I will do my best."

My consolations stopped her tears, and she calmed down.

"That's a good girl."

"Y/n."

I turned to Rias, who called for me. "Yes?"

She came up to me and looked at me with respect, fear, acceptance. Multiple emotions flashed across her eyes within a single moment. "Thank you."