Chapter 34 - Call of the Wild

Y/N POV

"We declare this match a tie!"

The adult Devils announced the results. "Taking into consideration the sheer power both contestants displayed and the staggering destruction they wrought, we find it only fitting they stand as equals."

I was satisfied with this decision. It was my goal anyway. I looked to see how Sairaorg would take this news.

He was all smiles. Why am I not surprised?

After the healers were done with us, I stood up and walked to Sairaorg.

Now that everything was over, I finally introduced myself. "The name's Y/n L/n. It has given me the greatest pleasure to stand toe-to-toe with you on the battlefield, Sairaorg Bael."

"Y/n L/n," Sairaorg repeated. "I have heard about you. So the rumors about you were not wrong. Indeed, you are very strong. My words still stand; you are my sworn brother. If you ever have a problem you cannot resolve, call out my name, and I will come to you."

He gave me a slip of paper that had a magic circle on it. I pocketed it. "I doubt I will need it, but thank you."

"I also would like to make a small request," Sairaorg said.

"Sure."

"In the future, when you get stronger--and I know you will get stronger--let us fight again. Just imagining what new things you may bring to the field excites me. How about it?" He stuck out his hand for a handshake.

Well, you know what they say: two heads are better than one. Training can't always be alone, and I can't refine my skills without a sparring partner.

I took his hand and gave it a firm shake. "Sairaorg Bael, it was an enormous pleasure sparring with you. It would bring me great joy to knock heads again. I promise you, we will fight again, and when we do, I will be stronger. I'll make sure of that."

Sairaorg laughed. "Good fighting words! I won't disappoint you either. So be prepared! Farewell now."

He bid me farewell and disappeared into the crowd. The adults were almost done restoring the venue floor. No one was approaching me, so I decided to find a chair and take a few moments to rest.

When I finally sat down, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a furball. The furball unfurled; it was Emynth.

'Tired?'

'Yeah. Just let me stay like this for a while. Making and firing the railgun took more than I thought.'

'Whatever you need. Your work is done for the night.'

I slipped her back into my pocket.

Oh! I just remembered. Now that Emynth was with me, there was no one to watch Rias.

'Shortly after the fight ended, I caught a glimpse of her chasing after Koneko. They ran outside. I couldn't figure out why.'

I recalled my deal with Sirzechs. If Rias was the one that put herself in danger, I wouldn't lift a finger unless she was about to die. She chose to leave the venue of her own accord, so I wouldn't interfere until I felt her life fall into danger.

On the other hand, she was chasing after Koneko, meaning Koneko might've sensed something.

Then her voice echoed in my mind. "Let me become strong. As strong as I can be. As strong as you can be."

. . .

In the end, I decided not to go after them. She wanted to step out from my shadow; I would let her.