Chapter 26 - Prelude to Disaster

Issei POV

"So. . . this is the Chief of Heaven?" I said in a daze.

I sat kneeling on the  ground, as did Akeno, who was in her Shinto priestess attire (pretty hot).

But opposite me stood a man with an imposing manner. He was handsome and had blonde hair. His droopy eyes made him seem kind, like someone you'd want to be friends with.

And yet. . .

What is this feeling of danger I sense?

Is it the formless pressure that naturally suppresses evil beings with his holy aura? Is it the intimidating golden armor he wears?

The three of us remained in silence.

"Issei," the angel suddenly said.

"Y-yes Micheal?" I stuttered.

Suddenly, a bright glow filled the room, making me squint.

When the light died down, there was an object floating between the three of us. It was a sword.

And even I could tell it wasn't a normal sword. Its design was too unique. A double-edged blade with a claw-like hilt, and three notches near the hilt, as well as an extended fuller and gold accents. It was anything but normal.

"This is the Dragon Slayer, the Holy Sword known as Ascalon," Micheal introduced it. "As the name implies, it was made for slaying dragonkin."

So that's why I'm so on edge. It's pretty much Ddraig's kryptonite.

"It is also my gift to you," he continued.

"Huh?!"

"It is rumored that you are the weakest host of Ddraig, so I intend for Ascalon to be assimilated into the Boosted Gear to help you," Micheal spoke.

Ouch, even the angels are merciless in their speech. I know I'm weak, but that's why I'm here, to become stronger. I don't want to sit on the sidelines anymore. I don't want to be capable of only puny attacks. I want to be stronger.

I want more power!

Micheal suddenly became more serious. "There has been too little fighting recently. Ever since the war, no large-scale battles have taken place but numerous small-scale conflicts have occurred. Tensions are rising, and I fear the worst may come: all-out war.

"There are many pantheons out there, not just the Abrahamic factions. They have sat on the sidelines for too long. There is an upcoming summit where the Three Great Factions' leaders will meet to form an alliance. It will stop the infighting and create a coalition to stand against any who threaten Heaven or the Underworld. I hope you will attend the summit, Issei Hyoudou."

Wow, the world is way bigger than I thought! Even with Devils, Angels, and Fallen Angels, there's still so much more out there!

"Issei, you should accept his gift," Akeno piped up.

Oh, right!

Micheal controlled the sword to lie horizontally in the air. "As long as you will it, Ascalon will become one with the Boosted Gear."

I reached out with the gauntlet on my left hand and took hold of the hilt of Ascalon. Focusing on it, I willed it to merge with the Boosted Gear.

Both the sword and my gauntlet released lots of pressure, but I grit my teeth and pressed on, forcing my will onto Ascalon to merge with the Boosted Gear. Then, with a bright flash, the sword disappeared from my hand.

But! A large blade now stuck out from the gauntlet.

Micheal nodded in approval. "Now that you have succeeded, I will be taking my leave. I know you have questions, but please, wait until after the summit to ask them."