Chapter 9 - New Faces, New Problems: Part 3

Timeskip to night

Y/N POV

I got up from the couch and stretched. It was finally time to save the nun. I looked over at Tio, who was peacefully sleeping on the futon. I decided to write a note for her in case she woke up. After that, I quietly exited my apartment.

I looked up at the moon, which was slightly yellow. "Well, it looks like I'm off." And I started jogging towards the church in the distance.

Mini Timeskip

As I got closer to the church, I could make out the outline of Issei, but there were also two other figures there with him. When I reached him, I saw that the two figures were Kiba and Koneko.

I hit the back of Issei's head. "Dude, I thought it was just gonna be the two of us."

As he was busy rubbing the back of his head, Kiba answered me, although he sounded a bit scared when he talked to me. "Koneko and I decided that we weren't gonna let Issei run off to his death alone."

Interesting. Even though he's new, and he's a pervert, they'll still fight with him in an uphill battle. I admired their loyalty to each other. But, that aside, it's time to save a nun.

"So, how are we going t--"

Koneko didn't even wait for me to finish speaking before kicking down the church door. I guess we're taking the direct approach.

When we went inside, we were met with a number of priests bearing blessed weapons. While I myself wasn't concerned, I still worried about the devils' vulnerability to holy objects. I decided to fight the priests while the other three went to find Asia.

"I'll hold these goons off. You three go find Asia."

"""Right!"""

After they left, I was quickly surrounded by a ring of about 10 priests. "Don't think we'll let you escape," they said.

At once, three of them rushed me at the same time. Two were coming in front of me, while one was behind me. I summoned my swords and shot the two that were in front of me, killing them instantly. Without looking, I thrust one sword behind me, stabbing the priest. The rest of them came in twos.

I kept most priests at a distance by shooting at them, but whenever one got too close, I slashed at them with my swords. Before the battle even started, it was already a one-sided battle. Soon enough, all the priests were laying on the ground, dead.

I was about to take a short break when a fallen angel burst from the ground and landed a few meters away from me. I got into a fighting stance again, but Issei came out of the hole the fallen angel left and landed beside it. I could see now that it was fallen angel that killed Issei, Raynare I think.

Issei then picked Raynare up and proceeded to punch her through one of the church windows. He then broke down crying. I slowly approached him and asked about his situation.

"What happened Issei? Were you able to save Asia?"

At this, he started crying even more. Between sniffles, he responded, "R-Raynare extracted her Gear, and she died. I was able to get the Gears back, but I was too late."

Kiba and Koneko, who just arrived, also had solemn looks on their faces. It seems that this loss affected more people than I thought. Koneko went outside to retrieve the fallen angel, leaving me, Kiba, and Issei in the church.

"What happened down there?" I asked.

"We ran into the priest from before. Koneko and I held him off while Issei went to where Raynare had tied Asia to the cross. But, she was already almost done extracting the Gear, so, like Issei said, we were too late."