Chapter One Hundred & Forty | Fourth World

Start from the beginning

Fyre sighed, "Hawk, you are smarter than your father was. You're smart enough to notice that times are drastically changing. Our old ways are no longer necessarily the best ways. You also know that if you don't embrace the new then you, along with the rest of the clan, will suffer. Strength is quickly becoming something that is not solely restricted to our physical capabilities. It may be the smallest of us who helps us adapt the most. And you can't just kill everyone to stop it from happening. Sooner or later, what you were taught by my brother will be something you find yourself questioning more and more. As it's the advise that was passed down from our forefathers, words which talk of brutality and looking after your own. But in this day and age, there is plenty of food for us all, expanses of land we can explore and lay down roots." Fyre took a small step towards his nephew.

Everyone, including Finch who watched on with wide eyes as he was entranced by Fyre, twitched as they instinctively prepared to defend their own. "Change is happening, and it's something that will happen regardless. And even though there's little chance of us trusting one another, we can still be beneficial to one another. You just need to stop this."

It seemed to take Hawk a moment to fully comprehend what he was being told. Even his own men gave him a quick look now and then, wondering how he would respond. But instead of being angry, he appeared nonchalant.

"You call me smart yet still underestimate me," he shrugged. "I learned from a young age that the words of the old chief were useless. His vision for Viper was too small, and we were just barely surviving. It was because of me that we changed the way we were living and soon after ensured we have only the best and most loyal warriors. So don't talk to me about change, in fact I embrace it. But I am not threatened by it, Uncle. Nor will I become stupid at the thought of it. Do you really expect me to call off my men and retreat? What then? In no time I will have an army outside of my clan demanding justice. Change is apparent, but our instincts will never go away."

Fyre didn't refute him, "Your hatred for everyone outside of Viper is clear, Hawk, but not everyone's so quick to want blood. They might never forgive you, but that doesn't mean they are willing to risk the last thing they can call their own, and that's their lives."

"I suppose you can use yourself as an example of that?" Hawk quirked an eyebrow.

"Yes," Fyre easily said. "I resent my father, who taught me and my brother to always compete. I resent my brother, whom I thought was different and who then went on to teach his own son's the same toxic lessons we received as children. But I also learnt for myself that after going through what I have, there's more to gain if I keep moving forward instead of looking back with a heavy heart."

"So what about Falcon, then?" Hawk wondered, something unreadable in his body-language.

"Did you not talk before this? Did you get the impression that he wants to make you suffer for how you and your father treated him?"

Hawk smiled, it was something unexpected. Then he took the same action his uncle had done only minutes beforehand. He stepped closer and that smile was far from someone who was reflecting on his own actions. It made the little bird who was watching from a safe distance, shiver.

Perched in a safe position, Finch kept his gaze rooted onto Hawk's figure. In his hand were a few items he had initially set out to get for his patient. More natural remedies that were the only thing he could think of that would help reduce the fluid from the man's lungs. It was vital Finch returned, but his body refused to budge.

Not when there was a chance that he could be the only one to save Fyre.

"I didn't bother to listen much, as he was trying as hard as you are now to make this all come to an end. Whatever changes that are coming my way, I am ready for them. But there's one thing I won't stand for, and that is you and Falcon looking down on me even though it is you and he that hide behind these trees and are so pitifully weak." Hawk all but spat. "And speaking of my brother, perhaps I should rephrase how I asked my earlier question, as you didn't seem to get the message. What about Falcon, would he not want revenge for me killing every last one of his men, killing the only member of his family that liked him, and reclaiming the person that belongs to me? I hear from my little spy that they were quite close." Hawk sneered, "But all that doesn't matter now. Not when there's no chance of him ever being able to take revenge."