Chapter Thirty-Four | First World

[ 34 ]

It was a bewildering situation. Given the drastic changes that were ongoing outside of the little estate, such as the complete and utter disbandment of XeClan and all things pertaining to it, ShuNing remained shut away, taking care of the peacefully sleeping raven-haired man.

ShuNing distracted himself by grinding herbs, making various remedies that he happily passed on for use on the injured. He always kept some aside though, because he wanted to make sure he had everything ZhangFeng could possibly need. Because, as one of the Wang Sect men pointed out a few days ago, this was somewhat abnormal.

"The odd thing is," he had said whilst looking over Zhang Feng, ", with Quintessence Force, the secondary element to it, is that the lightning generated contains pure life energy. So, in theory, he should have already healed by now."

"Life energy?" ShuNing had asked.

"Mm. To use such a force, he will have had to utilise a majority of his Spirit Core's energy. He combined that, and the static energy, to create the lightning. That's the reason why it was likely so blinding, because it was much stronger than your average lightning bolt. Because of its unpredictability, like the real thing, it doesn't flow in one direction, it bounces all over and the energy which he releases, also comes back to him. Understand?" [ A/N: No, sir. ]

"So why isn't that happening?"

The Wang Sect member had scratched his head, "To be honest, I'm not sure. I only know these facts from when my grandfather used to tell me about the rare elements. I suspect though, that there's something blocking that transfer of energy.

After that, the sect member had promised to do some more research and disappeared. It took some persuading by ShuNing to get Jun to leave as well. When he did, he made a promise to return and keep him informed about what was going on.

That was two days ago, and ShuNing once again spent his time worrying, and glancing over at the bed. When he saw the slow rise and fall of breathing, he was content.

Washing his hands in a bowl, he left the room to fetch some warm water and a rag, before returning to ZhangFeng's side. The man, through this, had been unusually sweating. ShuNing would apply a selected amount of herbs to try and prohibit the man getting a fever. He would be too weak to deal with that too.

"You're more trouble than you're worth, you know that?" ShuNing murmured as he wrung the water from the cloth and dabbed it gently at the man's forehead. Though his words sounded sour, between the two men they knew ShuNing didn't mean it.

"I am supposed to be out there, watching XeLeader and XeWife's trial, something I have worked tirelessly towards since coming to this world." His voice was soft, finding it strange speaking out loud about something that he had kept to himself.

"But at the thought of leaving your side..." ShuNing pinched ZhangFeng's cheek. Getting lost in thought, before he was brought back to reality; and sighed.

After cleaning him up, making him look as presentable as always, ShuNing sat nearby and tried to focus on reading. Though his mind kept drifting away from the words on the page, he stayed like this for a few hours before the door to his estate was opened.

He stood up to greet Jun and his merry-men, but as soon as he saw their expressions, he faltered. Setting his book down on the nearby table, he stepped over to the Wang men.

"What's wrong?"

"Shu Ning, did you forget to mention that that man is Fu Zhang Feng?" Jun asked, his brows pinched together. Although he was surprised by the question, he wasn't surprised that they had found out. It didn't take much detective-skills to figure it out. The man looked identical to his father.