Chapter Twenty-Two | First World

[ 22 ]

As ZhangFeng had predicted, not only was the second auction held in a much more affluent location, it was also entirely different in terms of atmosphere. There was a considerably less amount of people present, but of those that were, they maintained an air of aristocracy that made even ShuNing inch closer to his partner for the evening.

There was no concealment of identities, such as the boxes from the auction house, this one was entirely open. Other than ZhangFeng's mask, which he had switched out for a black one of the same style, he had no other way to hide.

As per usual when it came to his public appearance, ZhangFeng was also quiet, only uttering a 'mm' every now and then to respond to anything ShuNing asked. And because of this, the pair made others just as observant of them.

Although ShuNing was apprehensive, because of the other man's previous warnings a day before, he was still excited. Knowing he had obtained everything he was here to achieve, he felt like he could enjoy their final evening within Xinshan. Plus, knowing how sure ZhangFeng was about getting what he wanted, ShuNing knew it was likely he would be in for a good show.

Unsurprisingly, now knowing his official title, Wang Junjie was present but he wasn't alone. The men from outside of the tavern were alongside him. They each wore their sect's colour of green and didn't care to hide that fact—unlike both himself and ZhangFeng.

But, they weren't the only two from XeClan within this room today. Although many buildings within the clan were garnered in gold, which was seemingly a modern-addition since XeLeader took his position, the representing colours remained red and black. Thankfully there were only two of them, but they made no effort to talk to anyone whilst they were held in this waiting room.

ZhangFeng kept him close and manoeuvred them so they were away from the two, who from his displeased expression, he recognised. Though ShuNing was eager for answers, he knew not to test the man who would ultimately become his shield if worst came to worst.

"Elder brother," ShuNing asked quietly and ZhangFeng lowered his head ever so slightly. ", can you tell me who comes from what sect, and if we get along with them?"

ZhangFeng didn't appear bothered by the question and gave a nod. He wrapped an arm around the back of ShuNing, clasping just above his hip and nudging his smaller frame closer to his own. There was no chance of those around hearing them in the first place, but ZhangFeng was acutely aware, without even having to look, that a particular son of Wang Chao was enjoying the view of his little companion.

It also eliminated lecherous thoughts from the minds of others who would briefly look their way.

"As you now know, the three in green are from the strongest sect in the north. Those closest to them, in grey and blue robes are their closest allies." That was clear to see as the conversation between the group appeared to flow easily, and without a trace of tension.

"The ones in grey are from the Teng sect, they are known for their abundance of scholars but ultimately lack the strength to defend themselves. In the past their allegiances have been questioned as their interest used to drift from one sect to another, but when Wang Chao came into power he locked them into a contractual allegiance of sorts."

"As for the sect in blue, they are the Qiu sect—"

"Ah, I've read about them," ShuNing revealed proudly, making the other man look at him with a raised brow, ", they used to be close allies with XeClan, well that was before the current leader took his position. XeLeader believed that the Qiu Sect were becoming too powerful, too influential and cut all ties— which ultimately meant..." He trailed off, glancing in the direction of the handsome figures that spoke quietly with the Wang group.