Chapter One Hundred & Forty-Four | Fourth World

[ 144 ]

As Fyre stepped out from behind the protection of the tree-line, closely followed by those who had to dig deep in order to muster up the brute determination they needed to keep fighting, they were greeted by the second wave of Hawk's men. Who came to an abrupt halt when they saw movement, and grew wary at the sight of Fyre.

The wind whipped through the lush greenery that surrounded them all. The eery feeling the wind created when it howled, dominated the otherwise silent setting. The men fighting on behalf of Viper, were unsure of what step to take. They hadn't expected to be confronted so early on, and were more than conflicted about whether they should lunge and start fighting. But in the calm movements of Fyre and his men, it became apparent that they weren't in the same mindset as the foreigners.

To make it even more bewildering, Fyre willingly stepped out into the open. A short distance from the rest of his people. In one hand he clutched a weapon with the same shape and size of a spear. The sheer size of it emphasised the build of its wielder. Whilst his other hand hung down beside him. There was no tension in his appearance, no battle-readiness.

"It's easy to forget what it is we're fighting for, when so much time has been spent drenching ourselves in each other's blood." Fyre announced to the surprise of many. His deep voice was carried by the onslaught of wind. "But in a way, we're all fighting for the same thing. To protect our own. Viper just happens to have the advantage of more people." There was no bitterness, no anger on behalf of those who had already lost their lives for them to end up where they were.

"But there is a danger of losing what makes us individuals. That voice inside of you that tells you when something isn't right. That voice we have smothered in order to dutifully follow orders. In times like these, we need to listen to them." Fyre admitted as he slowly paced. When he came to a halt he sighed, "I know how this sounds, and I know what your Chief would say it also sounds like. Me trying to change you, to turn you over to our side. But that's not the truth. I'm sure you are all proud to be part of Viper clan, and that's fine. All I ask is that you question what it is about being a part of Viper that makes you proud. Is it the security you treasure, or that for your children. Is it being able to fight alongside your brothers, or is it following orders to slaughter innocents. Killing those who feel the exact same pride for their own clans; those who never posed a threat to Viper."

It wasn't something Fyre expected a response to. The legible expressions on their faces made it clear enough to see that his words had made some impact. They weren't holding out hope that all of Hawk's men would suddenly drop their weapons, but what Fyre's meticulously planned words did achieve, was playing on the doubt that could have already festered in the minds of the men who were perhaps unwilling to fight.

"I won't ask anything of you— any of you— that will change your way of life. All I wanted to do is to speak to you as I am, and tell you that me and those who stand behind me, don't pose a threat to Viper. Those who came here didn't do so to come up with a plan for revenge. They came here to survive. They listened to that voice of reason and decided that they would honour their loved ones who were killed by guaranteeing they would live on in their memory."

As lovely as Fyre's words were, these were still men who had had Hawk whisper in their ears and fill them with propaganda. Fabrications they had no reason not to believe. But now they were presented with a man who advised them to think for themselves. Something which proved to be far more difficult than following along with those around them.

"I want this to come to be over, I don't want anymore bloodshed." Fyre declared and then turned his head to one side, where he gave a nod to one of his warriors.