Chapter One Hundred & Twenty-Two | Fourth World

[ 122 ]

They didn't hang around much longer. As soon as they were able to, Falcon had the horse shooting from the shack as they attempted to put as much distance between themselves and the Viper Clan as possible. The speed, cross with the chilling temperature of the wind, had Finch scrunching up his face and trying to make himself look as small as possible.

With his back pressed snuggly against Falcon's chest, it somewhat eased the process knowing he was stealing the man's body heat. But the same could be said for the man riding on the back, whose arms were almost entirely wrapped around Finch as he held the reigns. Clinging to one another as they braced the weather.

Having made the journey many times before, Falcon knew the route off by heart. But even then, he was cautious. Tracks could be traced, and if they were followed then he didn't want to lead them straight to their destination. So Falcon decided to go an alternative route, which resulted in the horse taking on the brunt of the unstable terrain on the first leg of their journey.

It was far from comfortable for both men as well, but with the obscure movements came the opportunity to rest. When they came to a halt, Falcon instructed for Finch to remain on the horse until he returned. Which the man did after surveying their layout.

They were surrounded by trees, some which were clinging to the remaining few leaves that swayed with the wind. Under their feet was huge boulders which perched precariously over the steep incline of the hills. But judging by the vegetation that had grown around them, said boulders hadn't experienced activity like rockfall for many, many years. Which made it safe for the pair to stop.

The wind howled spookily, brushing against Finch's face as he sat atop the hungry horse. Due to the horses size, he would certainly be exposed if someone happened to pass by.

When the sound of a twig snapping came from close by, Finch whirled around and his hand reached for the weapon which belonged to Falcon, that was kept strapped to the horse. Fortunately, though, it was a fat bird which had suddenly taken flight and in doing so broke where it had been perched.

Just as Finch felt himself relax, Falcon showed his face. The first thing he did was greet the horse, stroking its face so it wasn't startled by his abrupt arrival from the tree-line. Afterwards, he took the reign and started walking onwards, leading the both of them through some trees and slightly upwards.

As Finch wondered if they were going to venture all the way to the top— it levelled out. They had only reached a halfway point in the large hill, but it seemed to be a hidden shelter. The strange rock formation, along with the canopy of vegetation, created the perfect place for them to take cover from the elements.

The thick, lush surroundings could potentially mask a fire if they set one. But also give them the advantage over potential predators. So Finch was happy to get down from the horse, with certain parts of his body aching more than he would have liked, but he was determined not to let it show. Because Falcon, on the other hand, was completely untroubled.

"The weather's turning, so we'll stay here for now and let the horse rest." Falcon eventually said after silently conducting the processes of setting up their temporary camp.

To help the man out, Finch brought the horse further into the protection of the shelter and grabbed a portion of grain they had as a part of their supplies. He fed the horse whilst stroking its main as he discreetly watched Falcon, whose expression was as pensive as ever.

Only when Falcon was willing to stop, did Finch join him by sitting on the ground after fetching the shawl. They had been plastered against each other all morning, so Finch didn't hesitate as he draped it over both of their laps. It had the silver eyed man looking at him for a few seconds, but not rejecting the offer for warmth.