Chapter One Hundred & Forty | Fourth World

[ 140 ]

If the men surrounding Hawk were still surprised by their leader's confession, they no longer showed it. In fact, even to the eyes and ears of a stranger, it was clear that this wasn't your typical relationship between uncle and nephew.

Although Hawk's features could be defined as calm and reserved, there was a menacing look to his eyes. Something which grew exponentially when he took in the sight of his uncle's displeased expression following his words. There was no tone to his voice which implied that the young man was pleased with this reunion. There was only two people left who tainted his bloodline, and in Hawk's opinion, that was far too many.

He had purged them in order to ensure he was the only one. Then would come the time to rebuild.

"Isn't this the part where you should be on your knees?" Hawk wondered, looking instead at the building which Fyre stood in front of. It was somewhat of a complex design, and not something Viper currently possessed. But the cocky leader knew that when the fight was done, he would have someone sketch every detail of it before they burn it to the ground.

But Fyre was seemingly impervious to his nephew's mockery. He stood his ground and easily commanded the air of leadership material which Hawk seemed so desperate to flaunt. The older man with battle-wounds of his own, looked at the boy who looked almost identical to his own brother; right down to the bitterness that lay within those silver eyes.

"You haven't won yet."

"Haven't I?" Hawk gestured around them, where in he momentarily landed on Finch's exact position. "There is no one around, no one to leap to your safety. You're all alone, old man." There was a mere handful of grey hairs freckled in Fyre's hair, but nothing else pointed to him being as aged as the disrespectful leader insinuated.

It was yet another tactic Hawk was using to rally his men, to bring back their dedication towards the mission. To make the prospect of all of them eventually attacking him at once, easier to swallow. So to paint him as someone who is better just to be put out of his misery, Hawk's decision was imminent.

Fyre never changed the expression on his face as he steadily turned his head in the directions Hawk paced back and forth in. Instead of figuring out how to escape, as any sane person would be, he looked to be instead trying to understand his nephew. But trying to understand the thought process of a psychopath wasn't an easy task. Something Fahren knew all too well.

"Those who are fighting, and those we are fighting on behalf of, know that I am willing to die for them. This will not be as simple as taking me down, and you winning by default. We only call ourselves a clan because it is a name which is familiar to everyone. When in reality, all we are are a large group of people who want to be free. So in order to keep that freedom, we are willing to do what needs to be done."

Hawk apparently wasn't too pleased, "What does that even mean? Because all I hear is that you're weak and now you're just stalling for time."

Fyre shook his head, "I'm not stalling. I'm trying to make the most of our first real conversation. I want to know what has led you to this path. And why you must take more. You have taken everything from the people who you call a threat. These are the same people who have fled from their homes which were razed to the ground by Viper. Fled knowing that their most precious possessions will never be replaced. And now? They are living simply. With nothing else that you could possibly take which would be of worth to you, what is it you want, Hawk?"

"There will always be bloodshed to obtain growth." Hawk stated bluntly. "That is how Viper has lasted so long, and how else would we have attracted our deity? The weak will die but the strong will survive. They chose to come to you and stayed knowing yours and Falcon's connection to Viper. So that means they stand against us and will be killed."