~Chapter 34~

"I see, so we have no choice but to wait another week." Kōga muttered softly.

"Uhn." Sesshomaru confirmed.

"So, until then?" Kōga asked. Sesshomaru fell silent at this question, unsure of what to do next.

"Well, our lead general has lost his position, we need a new lead." Mayu started making the two men look over at her.

"And I know just the person." Mayu finished giving Sesshomaru a knowing glance.

"Yes, I was planning on appointing Amaya anyway. Though, she'd need a co-general just as she was for her father." He pointed out.

"Ah, I see. I don't know the other guards all that well yet so I am unsure who'd be fit." Mayu muttered.

"If you need more men, I can lend some. From what the people said in town, the defenses here have awfully dwindled." Kōga finally spoke up once more.

"Won't that be too risky for your people?" Sesshomaru asked.

"All of our people are warriors, we don't have commoners as you do. We should be fine." Kōga explained. Mayu thought for a moment, then let out a very soft hum gaining Sesshomaru's attention.

"What is it, Otome?" He asked making Kōga perk up a little. Otome, maiden, a lord is calling a human that?

"I'm just curious if it'd be better to just bring everyone in one spot. If the Bakenekos are really that bold to attack us then, there must be something they want from us." Mayu explained.

"Hmm, yeah, she has a point. We still have no idea what they want, if they're ballsy enough to go after us even if we're banned together, then something else other than pettiness is going on." Kōga said with a heavy sigh.

"Hmm, yes, that is a good point. Plus, your territory has no borders?" Sesshomaru asked making Kōga shake his head.

"We never needed any until this time." He admitted.

"I see, it might be the safest course of action." Sesshomaru muttered, then he glanced at his office's door.

"Otome, can you grab Eri for me?" Mayu smiled and nodded.

"Be right back." She said as she stood and walked out. She walked down the hall to the main hall knowing Eri might be there with Rin due to it being a bit colder today, and she was right. Eri sat on the floor with Rin while they played making Mayu smile.

"Eri." Both Eri and Rin looked over.

"Sesshomaru requested to see you." Eri nodded and got up.

"Can I come?" Rin asked. Mayu thought for a moment, then smiled.

"I don't see why not." Rin smiled brightly as she got up and ran over hugging Mayu, then they went back to his office. They walked in gaining the mens' attention.

"Eri, I need you to ready the old banquet hall for our guests. We will be housing his people until we can get everything under control and make advancements on the Bakenekos." He requested then explained. Eri nodded then bowed.

"Of course, I'll get that ready right away." She said with a smile.

"Can you grab your daughter when you get the chance as well?" He asked.

"She's still at home per requested by your mother." Eri pointed out.

"I can grab her for you if it's ok to leave Rin here? It's far too cold for her to go out today." Mayu spoke up. Sesshomaru thought for a moment, then nodded.

"Are you warm enough in that?" He asked. Mayu giggled as she playfully curled the fake tuft of fur around her.

"I believe I'll be fine.~" She said with a soft giggle. 

"Very well then." He muttered. With that, Mayu left. And so, the massive change began. Mayu brought Amaya back to the palace before joining Eri to ready the banquet hall. Kōga said he'd be back with his people tonight before leaving so Sesshomaru decided to bring Rin to check on the girls.

"You're already finished?" He asked seeing the many spare futons, blankets, the large fire was lit, and there were refreshments waiting as well.

"Yep!~" Mayu chirped with a smile as she trotted over to Sesshomaru.

"Thank you." He muttered. Mayu gave a gentle smile.

"Of course. Now, what should we do while we wait for them to show?" Mayu asked tilting her head a little.

"He won't return until tonight, we have all day to wait." Sesshomaru pointed out.

"What about Amaya's promotion?" Mayu whispered wanting to keep it a secret.

"That takes a while to plan out, though, in a couple days we should be able to do the ceremony." Mayu nodded.

"While we wait, Mayu, you will come with me while Rin stays with Eri. There is something I wish your help with." Sesshomaru explained in a calm tone.

"Of course, be good Rin." Mayu spoke before kneeling down to give Rin a smile.

"Uhn!" With that, she skipped off. Sesshomaru offered a hand to Mayu as she stood straight making her smile grow as she carefully took it. With that, they made their way to where ever Sesshomaru could be taking them.