~Chapter 3~

It had been weeks, maybe even a month, since the dog demon lord brought Mayu to his palace to care for little Rin. Mayu, at first, looked for a way out. However, as time went on, she forgot the fact she even wanted to leave. It felt so natural to care for Rin, she was just like Aito, it felt right. Mayu, however, still felt nervous around the demon lord. He hasn't shown any sign of wanting to kill her, sure, he's snapped and snarled but never really at her, but his golden eyes seemed to read her inside and out. She's seen many arguments between him and his mother, and Mayu couldn't help but feel bad for him. Sure, his mother must mean well, but she's constantly trying to control him, like now.

"For the last time, I refuse!" He snarled.

"So you'd rather put off the good of your people for a silly human celebration?" She asked tilting her head.

"I already promised her." He said lowly.

"So? She needs to learn she can't have everything."

"That's not the main focus. She may have chosen to live with me in the end, but that means not, she should still remember the fact she is human."

"So, put her in her place." He snarled loudly, so loud the walls trembled lightly under Mayu's fingertips.

"She is not under me." He looked like he was ready to kill his mother.

"She is not? I wonder if it's her that needs to remember that she's human, or you." His mother said narrowing her eyes.

"Just because she is human means nothing. I choose who is worthy of standing at my side and who is not." Mayu sighed gently before walking further down the hall. It was her job to care for Rin, so she would wake her up, keep her fed, play with her, and put her back to bed. It was a daily routine. She gently opened Rin's door thinking she was still asleep, but there she was, sitting up and rubbing her eye with messy bedhead hair.

"You're up already?" Mayu asked before walking over getting on her knees beside Rin.

"Mhmm. I heard Sesshomaru-sama growl loudly. What's going on?" Mayu hesitated before giving a gentle smile.

"I'm sure he's just stressed, he'll be ok." Rin frowned.

"Maybe the festival isn't a good idea. Kaede said I could bring him, Jaken, and A-Un, but I think human things stress him out." Mayu frowned shaking her head.

"I know he'd be more than willing to go with you, Rin." Rin looked up.

"You really think so?" Mayu smiled and nodded.

"Hmm, I know, I'll go cheer him up!" She said before quickly getting up and rushing to the door.

"Wai- Rin!" Mayu stood up, but Rin was already skipping off.

'Geez, where do kids get their energy?!' She thought before rushing after her. By the time she caught up to Rin, she was peeking around the corner where shouting could easily be heard, almost loud enough to damage anyone's ears. Mayu stood behind Rin looking over, Sesshomaru was towering slightly over his mother, fangs bared, snarling, but what caught Mayu off guard the most was his eyes. His once golden orbs were sky blue and his eye whites were blood red. He was ready to kill, and his prey seemed to be his mother who only looked up at him calmly.

"Come on R-" Before Mayu could lead Rin away she rushed over to Sesshomaru wrapping her arms around his waist making his gaze quickly snap down to her, his snarling catching in his throat. Mayu paled, never had she been so scared of Sesshomaru, it was those eyes. His mother looked down at Rin so buried her face into his side closing her eyes, not daring to let go. She glanced up at her son who stared at the small girl for what felt like forever, and to her amazement, his eyes slowly reseeded to their normal colors as his body relaxed. He put a gentle hand on her head in acknowledgment making her look up and smile. Mayu let out the breath she had no idea she was holding, closing her eyes for a moment.

"Better?" Rin asked Sesshomaru. He glanced at his mother, a harsh glare in his eyes before he knelt down wrapping his arm around the back of her legs easily picking her up walking away from his mother. Rin smiled as she wrapped her arms around his neck closing her eyes content with the warmth she was giving her. As he walked by Mayu, he looked down at her making her breath hitch in his throat.

"Come." He commanded softly before he kept walking.

'I'm so dead.' With that thought, Mayu followed the demon lord. They walked for a while, then they entered a room that looked to be some sort of office. There was a large, dark, wooden desk scattered with white, cream, or even old yellow and tattered papers with many writings, some clean, most not. The room was dim, clothes covering the windows as many candles were lit giving the room a nice, calm scent along with its gentle glow. There were also many, large, and full bookshelves with books of all sizes, colors, along with their cousin scrolls. Sesshomaru walked to his desk, sweeping some of the papers to the side before setting Rin down to sit on the desk. Rin looked to her side to see the messy desk, Mayu, on the other hand, tried to keep her head down and not look at the demon lord. She's never been shut in a smaller room with him before, it was rare for her to hear him say a single word to her.

"As you know, Hanami is approaching. We leave tonight." He spoke to Rin, who's eyes lit up.

"That means you got your work done?" She asked happily. Sesshomaru fell silent for a moment.

"Let's get you ready." He finally answered. Rin smiled brightly, jumping off the desk and grabbing his hand.

"Yeah! Are you going to wear your black kimono, the one with the fire patterns and red trimming?" Rin asked the demon lord.

"Possibly, yes." Rin hopped in place happily.

"Oh oh oh, can Mayu come too?" Mayu quickly glanced up at the mention of her name.

"We can find another pretty kimono for her!" Rin chirped. The demon lord thought for a moment, then glanced over at Mayu.

"She will accompany us. However, the maids will get her ready, you need to worry about yourself." He spoke calmly.

"Ohh, ok! I know Eri will make her look super pretty! Oh, she'll be helping you get ready though, huh?"

"She will not, I will instruct her to take Mayu instead." Rin's eyes sparkled once more as she let the demon lord's hand go running to Mayu giving her a big hug.

"Eri will make you super duper pretty!" Rin said sweetly. Mayu smiled softly down at the girl. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door gaining everyone's attention. The demon lord's nose twitched for a moment.

"Chikara." He spoke, the door soon opening as Chikara walked in, closing it behind him.

"Hi Chikara!~" Rin chirped giving him a wave. The demon looked over at the little girl.

"Rin." His voice, similar to Sesshomaru's was deep and calm.

"What is it?" Sesshomaru asked making Chikara look over at the lord once more.

"Your mother-"

"Wishes to see me?" Sesshomaru interrupted with an irritated tone. Chikara hesitated but nodded.

"I am busy, she can wait."

"Very well, she spoke of it being important." Cikara muttered.

"I care not." Sesshomaru then glanced at Mayu for a split moment.

"Take her to Eri, she will be accompanying Rin and I tonight. She will know what to do." Sesshomaru spoke up before holding out his hand. Rin smiled skipping over and taking it. They both started walking. Before Sesshomaru opened the door, he looked back at Mayu.

"If earlier's event repeats at any given time, bring Rin here. You have full access to this room." Mayu only nodded, his golden orbs capturing her like a deer in headlights. Yet, those golden eyes didn't seem as scary anymore, not compared to his sky blue eyes trapped in the sea of crimson. With this, Sesshomaru turned and left with Rin.

"Come." Chikara spoke up before walking, Mayu hurried after him, making sure to close the door behind her.