~Chapter 10~

Mayu and Sesshomaru came back to the village, the walk completely silent. He explained to Rin, Jaken, and A-Un that they wouldn't return home for at least a few days. Kaede said they were more than welcomed to stay in the village so Sesshomaru agreed so Rin could spend more time with her people. Just as the night was coming to a close, there was one more thing Sesshomaru planned on doing, and no one expected it.

"H-He's... dancing with her." Jaken muttered in complete shock while Kagome, Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango stared with awe. Mayu, on the other hand, watched with a smile as Sesshomaru carefully spun Rin while she smiled brightly, laughing cheerfully.

"What did you do to him when the two of you walked off?" Sango asked softly so he wouldn't hear making the others lean in curiously.

"Uh, well." Mayu trailed off.

"We didn't do much, he just needed time to unwind I suppose." She said not wanting to expose Sesshomaru's weak moment for his sake.

"Hmm." Inuyasha hummed as he looked back at Sesshomaru.

"His heart has grown in size, that is for sure." Kaede said as she walked beside Kagome.

"Uhn." Kagome agreed. 

"Mayu, come dance with us!" Rin chirped making Mayu look over.

"No no, it's fine. It's your quality time with Sesshomaru-sama." She said with a gentle smile. Rin puffed her cheeks before letting Sesshomaru's hand go walking over to Mayu taking her hand and pulled her over making Kagome, Sango, and Miroku laugh while Inuyasha only let out an amused huff. Rin took Sesshomaru's hand once more so she was in the middle of the two as she smiled brightly. Mayu glanced at Sesshomaru who looked down at her, then they glanced down at Rin. As if reading each other's minds, they gently lifted her making her laugh and swing.

"Huh, he's become a real father figure for Rin." Kagome muttered softly.

"And Mayu seems to be a motherly figure." Inuyasha pointed out, arms crossed as he watched the three.

"Hmm, you two seem to be naturals. I wonder if you got it from your father?" Kagome whispered before leaning on Inuyasha lovingly. Inuyasha glanced down before carefully leaning against Kagome as well in acknowledgment. Sango smiled at Inuyasha and Kagome before looking back at Mayu, Rin, and Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru was now holding Rin who rubbed her eye gently, letting out a tired yawn.

"Hmm, but I'm not tired." She muttered making Mayu sigh with a smile.

"Then tell me, what was that yawn for?" Sesshomaru asked.

"I didn't yawn." Right after she said that she yawned yet again. 

"You didn't?" He asked once more before holding her a little closer.

"I already told you we're not going home for a few more days, you have more time to play until then. Now, rest." Rin nodded so Sesshomaru walked her inside the hut they were borrowing to tuck her in for Mayu. Mayu smiled and closed her arms, letting out a gentle breath.

"Maybe that's what happened?" Sango asked the group softly.

"Huh?" Inuyasha asked confused.

"Maybe Sesshomaru and Mayu are more than what they say?~" Sango suggested before quickly hushing the others as Mayu walked over.

"It's wonderful that you are staying longer than just one night." Sango said with a smile.

"Yes, it is nice to be out of that palace." Mayu started as Sesshomaru walked outside once more.

"It's rather beautiful, don't get me wrong, just tense." Mayu said with a gentle sigh as Sesshomaru glanced over, listening to what she said.

"Tense?" Kagome asked curiously.

"Yeah, it's hard to say why for I do not know the full story. I'm just glad we got to get out, Sesshomaru-sama really needed it." Mayu said with a smile.

"Isn't Sesshomaru the reason things are tense usually?" Inuyasha asked making Kagome elbow him.

"Really, Inuyasha, Sesshomaru-sama isn't nowhere as bad as you make him out to be." Mayu said with a gentle giggle.

"Mhmm." Inuyasha hummed.

"I will admit, he has calmed down since things finally settled down, though I think we all did." Kagome said with a smile.

"I have to agree with Kagome on this one." Miroku said with a laugh. Mayu smiled remembering her little dance with Sesshomaru.

"I do not doubt he has blood on his hands, but, I do not care. He is gentle and kind to me, Rin, his people. His heart is true, that's what matters." Mayu said with a gentle smile. Before anyone could speak up again, another voice came.

"Mayu." Sesshomaru spoke up making Mayu look over.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Come." He spoke before walking towards the large fire in the middle of the village where many adults were having a drink of sake, laughing, and obviously growing drunk. Mayu followed close beside Sesshomaru, a little weirded out when men would stare at her, might have been due to the fact this kimono hugged her body a little. She pushed it to the side, she didn't have anything to show anyway so it doesn't matter. Sesshomaru then grabbed two sakazuki cups and a bottle of sake before walking to the side away from the others. He then sat down using his Mokomoko-san to lean on as he poured sake in one of the sakazuki cups. Mayu carefully sat beside him, so he held the glass out. Mayu hesitated due to her never having sake before but didn't want to seem rude so she took it. He poured himself a cup before setting the bottle down and bringing it to his pale lips taking a sip.

"I didn't really see you as a fan of sake." Mayu said playfully making Sesshomaru glance over as he lowered the sakazuki.

"Human beverages have no effect on me, I simply drink it for the taste." He muttered before taking another sip closing his eyes. Mayu let out a gentle breath before taking a sip of her own. It was very sweet, which surprised Sesshomaru due to what he had just said. Did he really like sweet things?

"Mayu." Sesshomaru spoke gaining her attention.

"You spoke of your brother earlier. What happened to him?" He asked. Mayu stayed silent for a moment before glancing to the side.

"You were told he grew ill and died the day you took me." She muttered.

"By that tone, that isn't the truth?" Sesshomaru asked.

"Well, yes, and no." Mayu closed her eyes letting out a shaky breath.

"He died due to an illness, yes, but it was inflicted on him due to a wound getting infected." Mayu then stared at her drink.

"Our village was never too kind, if you were homeless you were nothing to them. Because of this, when I was out looking for work to get money so I could feed the both of us, he was harmed. I tried my damnedest to heal him and nurse him, but it was for not." Mayu explained. Sesshomaru was silent for a moment.

"What was the work you saught for?" He asked making Mayu tense greatly. He studied her closely noticing this sudden change in composure.

"U-Umm." She stuttered out, looking to the side.

"If you wish not to speak of it, it is fine." Sesshomaru spoke calmly before taking a sip of his drink once more. Mayu merely nodded before taking another sip of her drink, enjoying the sweet coolness of the drink. Sesshomaru watched her for a moment, then closed his eyes once more as he relaxed, enjoying the rest of the evening.