10│Winter: 'Find me and I'm gonna live with ya.'

"River, we need to talk," welcomed me Thomas as soon as I reached my locker. 

"Agreed," I said and opened my locker nevertheless to get my books out for the next classes. 

"So... I wanted to apologize," he stated bluntly. "My reaction to Collins words were not appropriate." 

"Thanks. It made me wonder what's more important," I said directly. "Me or the play. Especially your SMS later."

"I know, I know, I didn't think for a second about how you must have felt." Thomas ran his fingers through his hair. "I thought that's just the way it is: Popular people can say and do whatever they please. But you stood up for yourself and I should have had your back. It took me a while to realize. Again, I am truly sorry. From now on you can count on me." 

"Thanks, Thomas, I accept your apology." I believed him. The school was tough for him too and now he was in some kind of power position due to the drama play, he didn't want to lose it. For him, it seemed like his only shot to make something out of himself while still at school. 

I mean, I caught myself too many times thinking the same thing. 'River, don't bother, that's how they work', 'It's nothing personal, they just don't like anybody besides their friends', and I just start now believing that there is no excuse for their rude behavior. Everyone deserves respect and once in a while some nice words. 

"I'm glad," he smiled at me. "Want to practice the script after school like good old times?" 

I chuckled because 'good old times' was last year. It sounded like we were elderly people. 

"I can't, I'm sorry. Collin wants to practice with me." I gave him a look that said I can't believe it either. 

"Even though he treated you like trash?" Thomas said incredulously. "This guy is unbelievable. Well, then cancel." 

"I already agreed," I rolled my eyes. "And I think it might help me getting along with him for drama class and as a bonus, I improve my stress resistance." 

"True," Thomas laughed and clapped one hand on my upper arm. "If anyone can handle him, it's you." 

"Thanks, I guess." The bell rang and we parted ways. I was glad Thomas apologized, I hated it when the mood is tensed. And there was no way I would have approached him first. In this case, it was a good thing that Thomas didn't have such a huge ego. 

After school, I talked to Mr. Stein and as expected he gladly helped us out and lent us his classroom. (But to be sure, I didn't mention Collin.)

"Thank you, Mr. Stein," I said honestly. 

"No, no River, it's a pleasure. I always loved the plays you performed and I have it in my guts this year will be special," he winked at me as he cleared off his desk. "And my wife will also be happy as I get home earlier. So when you look at it this way, you're doing me a favor." 

I smiled, Mr. Stein had such a good heart. I wondered what his life story was. Do you know what I mean? Sometimes you meet people and wonder what brought them here, what's their story. But I didn't feel like I was in a position to ask Mr. Stein personal questions. 

When he left, I put my script on my table, opened my pencil case and put my highlighter and pencil next to the script, ready to remark it. 

While waiting for Collin, I started scribbling on the edges of the paper. I drew little bunnies, some hearts, smileys, stars, and a moon. 

After half an hour I wondered if something happened so I texted him about his whereabouts. Maybe he forgot where we wanted to meet? No, he could've called.

No answer so I decided I'll give him 15 more minutes until I call it a day. I got angrier each minute. He probably forgot me. I canceled two other plans to sit here with him. 

Jackass

After 40 minutes of being alone in Mr. Stein's classroom, the door opened and Collin walked inside. 

"Hey there," he said as he sat down next to me. 

"If you ever let me wait again, I won't ever practice with you - outside of drama class," I said infuriated. "Where were you anyway?" 

"That's none of your business." 

At this point, it wasn't unlikely that I would slap his beautiful face or kick his rude ass. I gasped with an open mouth at him. 

"I'm not here for your entertainment," I stated clearly. "Pay me some respect." 

"Sure," he rolled his eyes. "Let's begin." 

The next two hours we read the first act over and over. Lucky me, Lily and James had no love interest scenes yet. In act I, they start to get to know each other. Lily was a popular cheerleader, had great grades and cool friends. James was an outcast, he had very few friends and most of the time you'd find him smoking outside of school if he showed up at all. 

Lily was like me, besides the statuses. Of course, I wasn't a cheerleader or popular. But James was nothing alike with Collin. I could feel that Collin struggled with his role as James because he could not identify with him in the slightest. This play will probably be Collin's biggest challenge in his school life. Or his first. 

"No, Collin. You have to say it as if you don't care. James is bored by everything and has no interest whatsoever." It's tough, but try at least, I thought. 

"I hate it. Every word. Every character. Everything. I wish I could quit," he moaned. "Let's go home." 

I sighed. I was surprised we even managed two hours practice. 

"Alright." I was exhausted and hungry. Collin really sucked the energy out of me like vampires do with human blood. 

I packed my backpack and we left the classroom. As we exited the building, it was already dark outside. It will be so much fun riding my bike back home. Not. 

"Hey River." My eyes widened quickly. In the first row of the otherwise empty parking lot, Tyler was leaning against his car. "Are you hungry?" 

Collin snorted. "What are you doing here, Johnson?" 

"I thought River is probably exhausted of spending time with you, so I wanted to take her out for dinner," he smiled fakely at Collin. "What do you say River?" 

I was starving. Any food sounded like heaven. Collin, now, was also looking at me curiously. 

"I'm starving," I admitted. I walked over to Tyler who opened the passenger's door for me. Gentlemen like. 

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Collin shaking his head. But I couldn't care less what he thought about me right now. 

All I cared about was getting food in my tummy and having a nice evening with a soon-to-be friend.  

At least Tyler paid me common courtesy and respect. 

*****

Hello again, 

thank you so much for reading. I hope my English is fine! :) 

Please leave a comment or a vote or a follow.

THANK YOU!!