Chapter 4.

Camila's P.O.V
It was the night of Lauren's birthday party. I couldn't even fathom how nervous I was.

I glanced at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a checkered skirt with a white turtle neck. I had a pair of tights and knee high black boots on too.

I ran my hand through my hair, letting it fall wherever it pleased.

I took a few deep breaths before grabbing the birthday card I had written for her and her favourite bottle of wine. Well, at least it used to be her favourite. I collected my things before getting into my car and driving to the address Lauren had texted me.

I found myself standing outside her front door. The house was massive and I could hear the muffled sound of music blasting throughout the house.

My hands shakily pressed the doorbell next to the tall black door in front of me.

I was a nervous wreck waiting for what felt like forever. A part of wanted to just turn around and sprint, too scared to comprehend that I'd see her tonight.

Finally, I watched as the door swung open to reveal the beautiful, green eyed girl.

I couldn't help myself from looking her up and down and seen she was wearing an off the shoulder burgundy velvet mini dress. She looked absolutely breathtaking.

"Heyy" She smiled happily.

"Hey birthday girl" I chirped as she quickly pulled me in for a short hug.

"This is for you" I said shyly while handing her the wine and card.

"Oh you didn't have to, awh my favourite!!" Lauren squealed excitedly. She jokingly kissed the wine bottle before stepping back into the house.

I immediately followed and took my eyes off of Lauren to look around. The place was filled with balloons and other party decorations. There were small crowds of people scattered across the massive living room. I barely recognised anyone.

I looked back in front of me to find that Lauren had disappeared. Great.

I was standing there alone like an idiot before I spotted the drink section and poured myself some sort of alcoholic beverage. I didn't even know the name of it, but it looked fancy so I guessed it wouldn't have been too bad.

I glanced around, desperately searching for someone to blend in with. I failed miserably.

I awkwardly took a sip from my cup, starting to regret even coming. I examined the room yet another time, and this time spotted Lauren. She was in the corner with that man from the dressing room. Jack, I think his name was.

She clearly looked quite distressed and I furrowed my eyebrows, studying their interaction.

I watched as she tried to step out of his way, only for her to be blocked in by the tall man. I saw something switch in her. She looked scared for some reason.

I started to get frustrated with the thought that he was possibly ruining her night, and before I could stop myself I was walking over to the corner they were in.

"Excuse me" I very obviously coughed, resulting in Jack to step away from her, still close though.

I made eye contact with Lauren, and it was almost like her eyes were pleading with me to remove her from the situation.

"There you are Lauren, now it's been way too long and I think we need a catch up don't we?" I said very casually, pushing past the man and linking arms with Lauren.

"I was actually speaking to her" Jack grumbled.

"Yeah well it's actually my turn to speak to the pretty birthday girl" I said rudely to him.

Without giving him another chance to say or do anything, I quickly pulled Lauren away from him. I didn't even know where I was leading her but we found ourselves in an empty kitchen.

"Thanks for that" Lauren said gratefully, keeping in close proximity to me.

"Don't mention it, he didn't look like much fun and I didn't want him spoiling your night" I said truthfully.

"I need to get wasted" Lauren blurted out. I chuckled at her.

Suddenly her face went serious and I felt myself tense up.

"Um Camila, do you think that if I do get drunk tonight, you can just, make sure I don't end up with Jack?" She said with sad eyes.

"Yeah of course" I replied and I watched her relax again.

"Is there any reason as to why?" I asked, starting to get a really bad feeling about this Jack guy.

"No, just, I don't, uh" She stuttered. I squeezed her hand reassuringly. To my surprise, she held onto it. The feeling of her touch made my skin tingle.

"I'll make sure you don't spend any more time with him tonight. I'll take care of you" I squirmed as the last words left my mouth.

"Thank you Camila, I appreciate that so much" She smiled softly as she gently let go of my hand. I instantly craved her hand back in mine. I don't know why, but it just felt so right to have her skin on mine.

"Right, bring on the alcohol" She clapped her hands together before stepping outside the kitchen.

I laughed at her before following her in a different direction which we came from.

She led us into another room, holding a smaller crowd of people.

I heard a voice call over to us.

"Come play truth or dare" A girl grinned at us.

"Truth or dare? Really? What are we, twelve?" I laughed, causing Lauren to giggle.

"Come on, it'll be fun" She said before leading us over to a small group of people I've never met before.

Oh boy, this'll be entertaining.