Chapter Eight

Author's Note: As always, thanks for the support. I'm trying to provide some joy, happiness, or something, lol for those of you (like me) stuck in quarantine. Enjoy!

Chapter Eight

*Dear, Jay

Hi. How are you? I'm keeping my promise and writing you a letter like I said I would. How's the team? Has anything interesting happened since I've been gone? Any new cases?

I really miss you all. Australia is definitely not Chicago. Remind me to never try the deep dish pizza here again.

And before you ask, yes I am safe. We haven't done anything except plan everything we're going to do. Though, Derrick says we should start moving with things here soon. I don't think we'll have to be here long, with the ways we have things set to go.

Remember, you can write back. I just probably won't see your response for a while considering I can't give you our exact location. And, don't forget the number I gave you; only you can call me and I can't call you. Sorry, I hate mission rules. I know it's stupid. I really wish I could just pick up the phone and call you on nights that I can't sleep.

I have to go, I've been sitting here too long not finishing my work, but I really miss you. Stay safe. I know how you are, Halstead. So please make sure you're being careful.

And please call. I would love to hear your voice.

Yours always,

Hailey.*

Jay looked up after he was done reading his letter and sighed. He missed her so much.

He knew something was off with all of this. Hailey should have never gone.

"You're still here?" Questioned Voight as he walked up to Jay's desk and sat on the corner of it.

Jay nodded and sat back in his seat, "Yeah, I was gonna try to finish the rest of my paperwork so I didn't have to come in early Monday morning."

Voight threw a glance at the bare paperwork sitting on top of Jay's desk, "But you didn't get it done. Why?"

Seconds ticked by before Jay finally answered, "I ugh...I just couldn't focus. I guess."

"Jay...Hailey knows how to take care of herself. She's good at her job and she knows what she's doing out in the field."

Jay nodded in agreement, "I know, Sarge. There's just something off here. I had one of my friends in the CIA look up Derrick, and he told me that Derrick was fired months ago with another agent for selling information on cases.

Voight started to share Jay's worry at hearing that, "You're saying that he doesn't work for who he's saying he's working for."

"That's exactly what I'm saying." Sighed Jay for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

"Okay, well I'll have one of my high-up pals do some digging for me and tell me what he can about the case they're working on."

"Thanks, Sarge."

Voight nodded and stood up, "You get some rest this weekend."

"I will." Said Jay as he stood up and started getting his things to leave for the night.

"And don't forget to get that paperwork done." Called Voight as he made his way down the stairs.

Jay grinned and quickly threw a look at Hailey's empty desk before he got his things together and went home for the night.

While on the other side of the world, miles away, Hailey had just woken up for the morning and was starting to get ready. Today was a big day. Today they made their first contact with William Harlington, Samuel Harlington's son.

They were set to have lunch at this large family-style diner. That way they could meet him in public and hopefully get in with him. They needed him to invite them into the operations as potential business investors.

Hailey was nervous they wouldn't buy the story Derrick made up about them being business investors. She knew they had limited time to stop William before his next shipment of children went out.

"Hey, you ready?" Smirked Derrick as he slinked his way into Halley's room and came to stand next to her at her floor-length mirror.

Hailey looked at Derrick like he had three heads, "How did you get in here? I thought I locked the door."

Derrick smiled and walked to Hailey's fridge to pull out a water, "I have my ways, Hails. Now come on, we don't want to be late."

Hailey nodded and grabbed her purse that held her small backup gun and a pocket knife. "Yeah, let's get this over with."

Derrick laughed and led Hailey out of the hotel and to their rental car where he got in the driver's seat.

"Have you spoken to anyone from back home?" Casually asked Derrick as he steered the car onto the main road.

Hailey glanced out the window and saw the other cars speed by, "I wrote to Jay this past week, but I haven't heard from anyone else. And, I haven't gotten any calls."

"Hmm. That's weird."

Hailey turned and gave Derrick a small frown, "Hey, are you sure that number you had me give them was right?"

"It should be, " Nodded Derrick as he continued to drive and not spare one glace at Hailey. "We can double-check it when we get back to the hotel if you want."

Hailey nodded in agreement and went back to staring out of the window mentally preparing herself for the show they were about to put on.

The silent tension-filled drive went on for a couple more minutes before Hailey noticed Derrick driving right by the meeting spot.

"Ughh, what are you doing? You just passed the meeting spot."

Derrick shook his head, "No, William contacted me earlier this morning and changed the location."

"Why am I just now finding out about this?!" Practically screamed Hailey as she tried to keep her anger and nervousness in check at the same time.

"Whoops. My bad." Smiled Derrick.

"You ass." Called Hailey as she turned in her seat and tried to mentally come up with a new game plan that involved a new location neither of them had seen before.

The drive lasted for about thirty more minutes before Derrick tuned down a gravel driveway and stopped in front of an old warehouse building.

"Come on, Hails. Cheer up. Just think, you're one day closer to getting back to Chicago."

Hailey rolled her eyes and unbuckled her seat belt before she got out of the car.

She and Derrick were both walking up the path to the door when she heard a truck rev up and speed on the gravel.

She went to turn around and get a look at the truck but when she did she was too late. The truck was barreling towards her.

The only thing she could really hear was Derrick's scream before she felt the hit and herself flying through the air.