Chapter Four

Author's Note: I hope you're all well. I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all of those who have reviewed, followed, favorited, commented, voted, and so much more! I love and appreciate all of you! Also, quick announcement, I have decided that I will probably only be updating this story on Wednesdays. That way I have enough time throughout the week to work on my other stories.

*Remember this is a SLOW-BURN.

Chapter Four

Hailey rolled over onto her side and opened her eyes. Despite drinking all night and going to bed at four-thirty in the morning, she slept really well last night. How? She didn't know. She honestly thought that after the brutal case they closed yesterday, she wouldn't be getting any sleep for days to come.

Hailey sighed as her thoughts were interrupted by the buzzing of her phone that indicated a new text message.

'Good morning, beautiful. I had fun catching up with you last night.' xDerrick

Hailey smiled as she read that message and the others she had already received this morning.

'Hey, you free today? Maybe we could get lunch or dinner.' xDerrick

'Morning. I know you said you had to work late last night, but what about brunch this morning since we didn't get to do our date?' xRyan

Hailey stared at her phone before she typed a response to Ryan saying that she would meet him for breakfast.

'Why hasn't Jay tried to text, call me, or come over?' Thought Hailey as she got up and made her bed. 'Maybe he was busy last night.'

Across town a couple hours later, Jay was still dead to the world, with a slight hangover and snoring on his couch. As soon as he got home last night he finished the six-pack he was going to bring over to Hailey's. How he made it home without calling or texting her to ask who that guy was and why he was there, he didn't know. All he wanted to do was be there for Hailey. He knew this last case was hard on her.

Jay's snores were suddenly interrupted by his phone ringing.

"Hello," Dragged out Jay as he barely lifted his head up off of his couch.

"Jay? What's wrong with you?" Asked Kim.

"Ummm...I was still asleep. What's up?"

Kim let out a small laugh, "Well, sleeping beauty we have a case. "

Jay let out a sigh as he set up on his couch and gripped his phone in his hand, "Okay, text me the info, and I'll call and pick up Hailey."

"You got it. Hey, Jay you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks, Kim just a long night."

Jay hung up his phone then jumped in the shower before he would call Hailey.

"It sucks that you had to work late last night." Commented Ryan as he handed Hailey her coffee he just ordered and they started walking through the park.

Hailey winced from her own lie, "Yeah, sorry about that."

"It's okay, I understand. I just hope everything went okay, I know you said you were finishing a case."

Hailey nodded, "Yeah, it was fine. Just some last-minute things for the closeup you know?"

"Yeah, so when did you know..." Ryan was quickly interrupted by Halley's ringing phone.

Hailey looked at Ryan and mouthed sorry before she picked up her phone and walked over to another park bench.

"Upton," Answered Hailey without even looking at who was calling.

"Hey, we have a case."

Hailey immediately smiled at hearing his voice. A voice she had been waiting to hear since yesterday when she last saw him, "Umm...hey. Text me the info and I'll meet you there."

Jay paused for a second as he was walking to his truck with his phone to his ear, "Are you sure? I usually pick you up before we head to a scene."

"Umm..yeah I'm running a little late this morning, but just text me the information and I'll meet you there."

Jay rolled his eyes thinking about what was making Hailey run a little late this morning, "Yep, meet you there."

Hailey pulled her phone away from her ear and just stared at it, 'He never hangs up like that.'

Hailey then looked over at Ryan, who was sitting alone on the park bench and sighed.

"Umm...hey sorry that was work and we caught a case."

Ryan looked up at Hailey and started shaking his head, "You know if you really didn't want to go out with me you could have just said no when I asked you."

Hailey took a shocked step back, "Ryan, there's no need to act like that. I really haven't been trying to stand you up."

"Sure seems like that." Said Ryan as he stood up and walked closer to Hailey.

Hailey glared at the man in front of her, "You need to walk away. Now."

"Make sure you don't call me again, bitch." Said Ryan as he threw his coffee down and strolled away from Hailey.

'What was that?' Thought Hailey as she watched Ryan walk off before she turned around and made her way to her car before she was interrupted by her phone ringing.

"Upton,"

"Well, that's a formal way to answer the phone."

Hailey smiled as she sat in her car and buckled her seatbelt, "Hi, Derrick."

"Ahh, that's much better, Hails. So listen, a friend of mine has tickets to the Sayer concert tonight. What do you say to reliving our old days and being the oldest ones in the crowd?"

Hailey laughed as she pulled out onto the road, "I thought you said you were in town visiting, who's your friend?"

"That's beside the point, Upton. Are you in for tonight or not?"

"Sorry, I probably can't. We just caught a case at work."

Derrick snorted. "All you do is work. Are you standing me up or something?"

Hailey rolled her eyes, "You know, funny enough you're not the first one to tell me that today."

"Hailey Upton, are you a player?"

Hailey smirked at Derrick's playful attitude, "I'm almost to my scene so maybe I can call you later tonight."

"Okay, Hails."

Hailey sat in silence for a few moments before Derrick said something, "Hailey, you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm here....Derrick?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Asked Derrick into his phone.

"Why do I have the feeling that you're not telling me something?"

Derrick sighed, "You are your feelings, Hailey Upton. They are always right."

"What aren't you telling me, Derrick?" Questioned Hailey as she parked her car at the scene and held her phone in her hand.

"I'll tell you when it's time."

"I gotta go," Whispered Hailey as she undid her seatbelt and spotted Jay making his way over to her car.

Derrick didn't say anything he just hung up the phone.

Thanks for reading! What did you think?