Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Author's Note: I just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone for the awesome reviews. I'm really glad you're all liking what I've done so far.

Hailey sighed as she locked her door and looked at her watch. She and Derrick had stayed up talking and drinking until it was almost four in the morning. She didn't realize how much she missed him until tonight. It was hard to believe that the last time she saw him was six years ago. A lot has changed in that time. Neither of them seemed like the same people they were when they first met each other.

Hailey sat on her bed and checked her phone for what seemed like the fiftieth time that night. 'Why hasn't Jay texted or called me tonight?' Thought Hailey as she got up and pulled the covers back on her bed. 'We usually always text each other a good night or see you tomorrow.'

Hailey stared at her quiet phone for a few more seconds before she glanced at the clock and put it on charge. It was almost four-thirty a.m. now. Luckily, tomorrow was Saturday and Voight had graciously given them the day off since they were able to wrap up their last case today.

Hailey laid her head on her pillow and thought about the day. It had definitely been full of ups and downs. And now that Derrick was back in her life she had a lot to think about. She still wasn't a hundred percent sure why he just showed up out of the blue, but he said tonight that he wasn't going anywhere and he would be talking to her again very soon.

Hailey remembered the day they met like it was yesterday. She was fresh out of the academy and he was coming off of his first full year or being a cop. Both were still very new to the job, so when a CIA agent named, Boyd Drew, offered them the chance to go undercover as a newly married couple in New York City both of them jumped at the chance.

"Hi, I'm Hailey Upton."

Derrick looked up at her through his RayBan Sunglasses and stuck his hand out, "Derrick Rodgers. Nice to meet you, Hailey Upton."

Hailey shook his hand then turned to take the seat next to him while they waited for Agent Drew to come and give them their debriefing.

"So, Hailey Upton, tell me about yourself."

Hailey smirked, "You know you can just call me Hailey right? Or even Upton like most of the people we work with."

Derrick smiled, "Yeah, I could call you that or I could give you a nickname like Hailey-Bob or Uppy."

"If you ever call me either of those names I will murder you and hide your body so they never find it."

Derrick just laughed and went back to playing Solitaire on his phone, "What about Hails?"

Hailey looked up at Derrick and smiled, "It's better than Hailey-Bob and Uppy."

"Anything's better than Hailey-Bob." Laughed Derrick.

Hailey smiled as she laid in bed thinking about the day she and Derrick met.

"Crap, I need to reschedule with Ryan." Said Hailey out loud to no one in the darkness of her bedroom.

Ryan was Halley's original date for the night. Although, she was already going to cancel on him after they closed the case she still felt bad for leaving him hanging.

'Maybe we can have breakfast or something in the morning.' Thought Hailey before she turned to her side and closed her eyes. It wasn't long before sleep finally came to Hailey.

Jay, on the other hand, had no intention of going to sleep tonight. He was still reeling from what he saw earlier. Why he was so upset, he still didn't know. I mean he shouldn't be upset, right? Why was he so upset? It's not like they were dating or anything, I mean they were partners. Just partners...right?

As soon as Jay saw Hailey and that man through her living room window he returned to his truck and drove off the closest bar he knew.

"Hey, man. Why the cryptic call? You know I just got off of a fourteen-hour shift." Said Jay's brother Will as he came and sat by Jay on one of the barstools.

Jay looked at his drink and nodded, "I'm sorry. I've just had a really weird day."

Will ordered a quick beer, "I thought you said you were gonna have pizza and beer at Halley's tonight."

"Yeah, I guess I kinda misread her today."

"What?" Asked a shocked Will before he took a swig of his beer. "I thought you two were experts at reading each other."

"I don't know, man. We finished a pretty tough case today and I thought I'd find Hailey alone tonight like she always prefers to be after a case like today, but there was this guy there that I had never seen."

"Well, did she say she would have a guy there tonight?"

Jay looked at his brother and rolled his eyes, "That's not the point."

"Wait are you telling me that you're jealous of Hailey having a guy over that he already told you he was going to have over?"

Jay shook his head, "She told me that she was meeting a friend."

"So you thought she was going to drop all of her plans so that you could swoop in and save the night."

Jay smirked, "You know I don't know why I even called you if you're going to sit here and laugh at me."

"That's what brothers are for." Smiled Will as he nudged his brother's shoulder.

Jay nodded before he finished what was left of his beer.

"Do you at least know the guy's name?" Asked Will.

Jay shook his head, "No, but I heard her talking to Kim last week and she said she was going to have dinner with this guy named Ryan soon."

"You know things would be a lot easier for both of you if you just told her how you felt?"

"What do you mean?" Question Jay as he turned to look at his brother with wide eyes.

"Oh come on."

"Hailey and I aren't like that. We're just partners."

"Keep telling yourself that brother." Said Will as he got up out of his seat and clapped his brother on the back before he walked out of the bar.

Jay stared at the empty spot next to him and thought about what his brother said. 'Maybe I do have a thing for Hailey, but clearly, she doesn't have a thing for me or she wouldn't be going out with guys named Ryan.'

Jay pulled cash out of his wallet and sat in on the bar for both his and Will's drinks. He was so ready to go home that when he was walking out of the bar he accidentally bumped shoulders with a guy.

"Sorry, man." Said Jay as he walked on and didn't spare a glance to the guy he just ran into.

"Hey, that's alright." Replied Derrick as he walked into the same bar that Jay just walked out of and to the booth he was expected to arrive at.

"Did you get her?" Asked the stranger sitting in the booth waiting on Derrick.

"Yeah, we got her." Smiled Derrick as he sat in the booth and replayed the night events to the stranger.

Again, thanks for reading! You all have no idea how much I love and appreciate all of your amazing reviews and comments. I promise I will try my best to get the next chapter out as fast as possible.