Chapter Two

Author's Note: Hi! Happy Valentine's Day! Sorry, it's taken me so long to update. I promise I have not abandoned this story. Thanks, everyone for the awesome reviews! You guys are so encouraging, your surprise reviews that I get in my email always make my day!

*Just a reminder, no mean or rude comments. THEY WILL BE DELETED!

Enjoy!

Chapter Two

Hailey gasped at who she saw in front of her, "Derrick?... What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Hails." Smiled Derrick.

Hailey stood there shocked. She never thought she would see this man again.

Derrick let out a small laugh, "Geez, Hails are you gonna let me in out not?"

Hailey shook quickly shook her head then moved aside for him to step in.

"Wow, Hailey you've really done well for yourself back here in Chicago."

Hailey didn't even register what he just said she just got to the point, "Derrick, what are you doing here? The last time I saw you was in New York over six years ago."

"Nice to see you too, Hails." Laughed Derrick as he sat on the sofa and began making himself comfortable.

"Cut the crap." Said Hailey as she rolled her eyes and locked her door. "I know you better than that, Derrick."

Derrick looked at Hailey and smiled, "That you do, Hailey. God, it's so good to see you"

Hailey laughed before she made her way over to the sofa and sat beside him. "It's good to see you too, but why are you here?"

"I had to come for a job." Whispered Derrick as he instinctively looked around for any possible eavesdroppers.

"A job? Asked Hailey as she looked the man up and down for any tell signs of lying.

Derrick smirked, "I'm not lying, Hails."

"Okay, then why did you come to see me?" Question Hailey as she got up to pour both of them a drink.

"Why wouldn't I come to see you? You were my favorite undercover wife to work wife."

Hailey let out a small laugh as she finished pouring their drinks, "You're something you know that?"

"Ahh, that's why you love me." Smirked Derrick as he watched Hailey make her way over to the sofa and hand him his drink.

"It's been six years, Derrick. Why the surprise visit now?"

Derrick sighed as he put his drink down, "Like I said a job?"

Hailey nodded, "Okay, what kind of job?"

"The kind that pays." Answered Derrick with a slight laugh.

"You're such a jerk." Smiled Hailey.

Both sat in silence for a moment just nursing their drinks before Derrick interrupted it, "I heard about Garrett, Hails. I'm so sorry. I know that must have been hard for you."

Hailey didn't look at the man in front of her she just continued to stare at her drink, "That was a couple of years ago now."

Derrick nodded before he downed his glass and got up for another. "Hey, you remember that time in SOHO when you tackled that bodyguard."

"I didn't tackle him...I just helped him get down to the ground probably faster than he ever has before."

Derrick shook his head in laughter, "Yeah, right. What was that guy two hundred, three hundred pounds and you just came out of nowhere and tackled him to the ground."

"Whatever. Hey, I remember a few stories about you too. Preferably one that involved a quick twelve-hour trip to Vegas."

Derrick quickly stopped laughing as he recalled the story she was referring to, "Yeah, we should probably keep the past in the past."

Hailey let out the girliest giggle ever heard at his sudden zip lipped policy on the past.

"God, it's good to hear you laugh again. Tell me about your team here. Last I heard you made it into Chicago's finest Intelligence unit."

"Keeping tabs on me?" Question Hailey as she got up to refill her way past empty drink.

"Nah. I just like to know where my past favorite partners end up in this world."

"I bet." Smiled Hailey as she brought the Bourbon bottle over for the both of them to finish. "So tell me any interesting girls in your life right now."

Derrick quickly shook his head, "No, you know I like to role single. Although, I did get married a few years ago."

"Really?" Asked a shocked Hailey as she almost spit her drink out at hearing that.

"Yeah, what's so hard to believe about that?"

Hailey smiled and continued to sip her drink, "Well, I see to remember you once telling me that you would never be one to get married because you were afraid of being tied down to one person for so long."

"Yeah, I did say that. But don't worry she only lasted about four months. I came home one day and found her in bed with the next-door neighbor."

Hailey visibly grimaced, "That's a tough one."

"Yeah, tell me about it. It was even harder to receive the invitation for their wedding a week after the divorce was final."

"Gosh, you know how to pick them don't you?"

"Yeah, I do." Laughed Derrick as he stared at Hailey "What about you? Any new guys into the mix?

Hailey quickly shook her head, "Nope. Can't say I have too much time for that these days."

Derrick nodded before they went back to talking about the past and catching up on the present. Both were so wrapped up in their past-due conversation they didn't hear the truck pull up outside.

Jay pulled up to Hailey's and smiled when he saw that her living room light was still on. He made quick work of parking his truck, unbuckling his seatbelt, and getting out with their pizza and beer. He knew Hailey said she had a thing with a friend tonight but he figured that after the day they had, no case they had, that she was bound to cancel and want to be alone.

Hailey walked up to the sidewalk and froze. She wasn't alone. Her 'friend' was here. Jay didn't know what to do. Did he go in? Did he text her and tell her he was here? He didn't know what to do so he just turned around, walked to his truck, and drove off.

"Did you hear that?" Asked Derrick as he got up off the couch and walked to the window.

"It's probably just a truck passing by." Comment Hailey as she picked up her phone and looked to see if she had any missed calls or texts from anybody.

"You expecting anyone?" Asked Derrick as he came back and took his seat next to Hailey.

Hailey hesitated for a second before she answered, she thought Jay might call or text after the last case they had, but she guessed not. "Nope, not tonight." Replied Hailey as she sat back and listened to Derrick finish his current story. The only thing she knew right now was that she was in for a very long night.

Thanks for reading!

How was it?

And, Happy Valentine's Day again!

*Sorry for any typos, it's pretty late, and I really wanted to finish this. Lol.