Chapter Five

Author's Note: Hello! Thank you to everyone who is still hanging with this story! And thank you for all the amazing reviews you all have left!

WARNING: There is mention of abuse and murder in this chapter. If that's a trigger for someone or too hard to read, please don't.

*This chapter is all about your all's favorite character, Derrick. I tried to give you all some insight on kinda who Derrick is and his backstory.

Lol, enjoy!

Chapter Five

Derrick woke up the next morning after his and Halley's reunion at about six a.m. He had so much to do and prepare for it was insane.

"Morning, sir." Said Derrick as he picked up his ringing phone and turned off the treadmill he was previously running on.

"Rodgers, after our meeting late last night I have decided that we need to speed this process up. I tasked you with securing Upton because I thought it would be easily manageable for you, but if you can't do it then I need to know so I can send in the proper person."

Derrick sat down on the gym bench and sighed into his phone, "No, sir. I can do it. I just haven't had the chance to tell her why I'm here and what all it entails with her."

"Derrick, Hailey is essential to what we have planned."

"I know, sir. I'll get it done."

"Good." Replied the other person on the phone before he hung up. Derrick sat there just staring at his phone for what seemed like forever.

Derrick didn't know what to do so he got up from the gym bench and went back to his hotel room that offered a great view of Chicago.

How was he going to tell her that a job they both did years ago and that both thought had ended had never ended?

He was going to come in and wreck her life.

Derrick walked over to his hotel room window and stared outside. It reminded him of when he was a kid and used to love to stare out the window.

"Mommy, where are we going?" Asked little seven-year-old Derrick Rodgers as he watched his mother quickly pack up all of their belongings into black garbage bags.

Derrick's mom, Rina, stopped her fast packing and looked over at her young, scared little boy, "Baby, remember I told you that daddy's not very nice to us and we need to get away for a little while."

Derrick looked at his mother and practically sobbed at the black and blue patches all over her face.

"Here," Whispered Rina as she handed her young son a garbage bag, "Why don't you go to your room and start packing all of the toys you want to bring."

Derrick smiled and ran off with the bag in his hand. He wasn't in his room long before he heard screaming. Apparently, his dad had decided to come home early today. Of all days to come home early he had to come today.

Derrick and his mom didn't leave that day. Both of them never left the house again. On that day Derrick's dad came home and fought with Rina until he wrapped his arms around her neck and killed her.

Derrick watched the whole scene in front of him and ran to his mother's lifeless body right after it happened. He tried and tried to get her to open her blue crystal eyes but she never did. Derrick stayed by her body until the police showed up and cuffed his father. Because there were no grandparents or no other family, Derrick had to be put in CPS' custody. Derrick begged and begged the CPS lady not to take him away from his home, but he had to go. He had no one and no one wanted him. After that treacherous night, nobody wanted to adopt Derrick. He bounced around from foster home to foster home and eventually ended up on the streets of New York City.

The one thing Derrick did remember about his childhood and bouncing around from home to home was when the caseworker would come to pick him and his black garbage bag of belongings up; he would stare out of the car window on the way to the next temporary home.

Derrick's dad, Kurt, went to prison after that night and has been in there ever since. His lawyer thought he could get him forty years with the chance of parole, but that didn't happen. The day of the sentencing Derrick begged his foster parent at the time, Amy, to let him know how long his father would have to go away but no one ever told him.

Kurt never treated Derrick right. He hurt him just as much as he did Rina but that never stopped Derrick from loving his father just as much as he did his mother.

Derrick tried to reach out to his father and ask him if he could write to him more or come visit him at the prison, but he never responded. He didn't want anything to do with the son of the mother he killed with his bare hands. That hurt Derrick more than anything. Just the fact that no one wanted anything to do with him.

Derrick thought that's why he felt so strongly for Hailey. She was the first person in his life to want to stick around. She didn't make him feel guilty for the past or anything that ever happened. She was the most amazing person he had ever met. She actually reminded him a lot of his mother. She was kind, sweet, compassionate, and so much more.

She was the person he missed the most after they worked together and he went off to become a navy seal. Truthfully, he never thought he was going to see her again.

Derrick walked away from the window and went to sit at his desk. He sat down and pulled out a stack of folders, all of which contained the names, addresses, and much more information on every person of Chicago's finest Intelligence team.

Thanks for reading! I hope this helped explain Derrick a little more to you all. And a big thanks to everyone who comments! See you next time!

 And a big thanks to everyone who comments! See you next time!