41

By the time Kevin had got to Matt he had stopped screaming but he couldn't open the door.  Mitch, Scott and Kirstie had ran to see what happened.

"Open it!"  Scott snapped at Kevin, who was practically running into the door over and over.

"I'm trying!" 

"Guys, guys?"  Matt said from behind the closed door.

"Yeah Matt, we're here.  Can you unlock the door please?" Kevin asked kindly. Matt froze, realizing.

His eyes flicked up to the doorknob,
"I-It's not locked."

The only reason Matt screamed was the power went out in his room, upon further curiosity, he looked under the door.

Light.

It was only his room. Thinking it was just the light burnt out he rummaged for his phone or some source of light.

There was a loud crash on the other side of the room, that with Matt's ability, he flew back against the door covering his ears.

There was a muffled laugh, then a moment of silence before the lights flickered back on, them going on and off a few more times before fully regaining life.

Kevin tried another number on the door, and it finally opened.  Matt was in the corner, looking pretty shaken up by the whole situation.

Kevin ran over to Matt quickly, making sure he wasn't hurt or anything, like Kevin was.  But no, just shaking a bit and rapid breathing.

"Matt? Man, are you alright?" Kevin asked quickly. Matt blinked a few times and looked up at Kevin.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." Matt slowly stood, being completely aware now of what is and could be his surroundings.

"What happened?" Mitch broke the silence that had built up.

*****

Dust blew, the way it did when it was full of students. Avi could hear obvious clunking from the tether ball and basketball chains. All abandoned.

Harry and Lindsey stayed a ways behind them. Lindsey ready for any type of attack to show off her ability, and Harry shaking out of his own skin.

"Avi? Avi!" The bearded one heard a familiar voice to his left. It was Tori and Troye.

A bright smile appeared on Avi's face as he walked a bit closer to them.

"Where are you going?!" Harry whisper-yelled, only to receive a slap on the arm from Lindsey.

"Hey! Wha-"

"Harry, Lindsey, this is Tori. That's Troye." Avi introduced. Awkward waves were exchanged, when that was interrupted by a faint ringing.

A moment of silence until realization hit Avi like a ton of bricks.

Ringing.

Draining.

"Get back in the car." Avi tried to say as calm and as hushed as possible.

"Why would we-"

"Get back in the car!" He said louder, and with an obvious tone of distress and fear. Which was truly unsettling, as Avi was seen as the leader. The fearless one.

Not a moment passed where they were still standing around. Tori and Troye got into their own, while the trio got back in theirs, blasting the radio to kill the sound of the ringing.

Avi stepped on it in reverse, that sent sand billowing up and he went back to their said shelter. He looked back into the rear view mirror and could clearly see two types of people in this situation.

Lindsey was jamming to the loud rock music that filled the car, not a care in the world. Harry had his fingers in his ears, looking back to the school in terror.

When they finally got back, Avi checked in with the person at the front. From there they were brought to a medium sized beat up apartment.

Paint was peeling and the wood around the place was chipped to the point where you could see bits of light from the outside peeking through.

The condition wasn't great, but there were two beds and a pile of dust covered blankets in the cover. A quiet sigh escaped Harry as he looked around.

"I'll take the floor." Avi offered, wholeheartedly.