34

Pre-Thanksgiving Chapter! 😊

Scott was still shaken up from the dream. Nightmare more like. He spent every moment he could with Mitch. Just to be careful.

He didn't bother telling anyone what he endured. It would just add more piles of stress onto everyone. That was the last thing anyone wanted.

With Kevin in the hospital, everybody was kind of in a funk for a few days.

Today, they sat on the couch watching spongebob with Kirstie laying her head on Mitch's lap and Mitch's head on Scott's chest.

A loud knock sounded at the door. Startling all of them.

"I'll get it. Stay here." Scott said getting up carefully. He opened the front door, Mitch and Kirstie heard Avi and Scott laughing.

They both sprang to their feet and ran to the door where they were.

"Kevin!" Mitch went in for a hug. Kevin laughed. "Hey buddy. Sorry I was gone for so long." Kevin frowned.

"It's okay! It was only a couple days. We missed you though!" Kirstie chirped, going in for her share of the hug.

"I have a surprise for you guys!" Kevin grinned widely, holding up a ton of plastic grocery bags.

He set them on the table.

"What is it?!" Mitch and Kirstie ran to the bags.

"Well, we said we wanted a thanksgiving dinner so..." Kevin pulled out a store bought turkey that was already cooked.

"I know it's not home made but, you know. It's the best I could do." Kevin shrugged his shoulders looking down at the meat.

Kirstie, Mitch, and Scott looked at Kevin aghast.

"Kevin. This is amazing. Thank you!" Scott hugged Kevin jumping up and down.

"Yeah, Kev. I honestly didn't think we'd have a thanksgiving this year. Now, we do. Thank you!" Mitch hugged him again.

Mitch was laughing and smiling until he turned around.

"Kevin, Avi. Who is she?" Mitch asked pointing to Leigh. Kevin grinned and walked over to her.

He put his arm around his girlfriend.

"Scott, Mitch, and Kirstie. This is Leigh. She is my girlfriend." Kevin stood straighter, speaking confidently.

"Is she a powerhuman?" Mitch asked quietly.

"She is not." Kevin answered. Mitch gulped and hid behind Scott a bit.

"But, I know Kevin and you guys are powerhumans. They are so cool! It's amazing!" Leigh finally spoke, comforting the groups nerves once she said that.

"Well, this is Mitch. That's Kirstie. Scott. And well, Avi." Kevin laughed. "Let's get these potatoes mashed! Mitch, you want to do the pumpkin pie?" Kevin was ready for Thanksgiving.

"Yes! I would love to!" Mitch peeped and grabbed the can of pumpkin and ingredients from the bags, jogging into the kitchen.

***

"Okay, okay man. You're turn." Avi laughed. Kevin and Avi were about halfway into the game of questions and peeling potatoes, for them to later mash.

"Alright. Uhm. What's your goal for this year?" Kevin asked. Avi contorted his lip to show that he was thinking.

"I want a girlfriend." Avi shrugged frowning and running the peeler down the vegetable.

Kevin looked at Avi.

"Why?" He asked. Avi looked at Kevin. He shrugged again. Made a gesture towards Mitch and Scott.

They were laughing and Mitch was being his sassy self while Scott was trying to out-sass him.

Nonetheless, they looked happy.

He then made a more sorrowful gesture towards Kirstie and Matt. Who were playing around with the pots and pans while they made the stuffing. They laughed until tears streamed down their face.

Avi looked at them with hurt in his eyes. He shook his head and turned his attention back to the food he was making.

"You wanted her, didn't you." Kevin looked at Avi, putting down his peeler. Avi looked up at Kevin.

"Keep it down, will you?" He snapped. He sighed, realizing his wrong actions and looked back at Kevin.

"More than anything. There's nothing I can do now. She's happier with him. I missed my chance." Avi looked down at the counter as he said the words he'd needed to hear come out of his own mouth.

"You still love her though." Kevin looked at Avi in the eyes. Avi pulled the peeler down and folded his arms.

"Yes. Yes Kevin, I do. I still love her. If loving means going through pain, if loving means hurting at times where she's having the time of her life." Avi cleared his throat, which was beginning to form a lump.

It was difficult talking about it. He didn't care. He needed for so long to tell someone how he felt.

It didn't feel healthy to bottle it all inside. So, he did the exact opposite. Truly, for him it felt like therapy as he spoke everything.

"If love is wanting the best for her, even if it means its not with me. Then yes, if love is realizing that. And being happy for them, even though, honestly, I feel like I'm not me without her." Avi gushed, tears spilling out of his eyes.

He had drawn some attention. From the last person he wanted hearing this.

Kirstie.

He took a deep breath and left the kitchen to his room. Kirstie didn't know what to think.

Avi however closed the door to his bedroom sobbing. He thrashed at nothing and cried into his hands.

He heard the door to his bedroom door open and his hid under his covers of his bed. His sniffling and trying to get himself back together could still be heard.

"Close your eyes, lay your head down, now it's time to sleep
May you find great adventures, as you lie and dream."

Kirstie's low range filled his room with comfort and serenity.

Kirstie put a hand on Avi's shoulder as she sang. Avi didn't want to come out of the covers.

Embarrassment and shame filled him. It was normal though. Kirstie understood completely why he didn't want to show his face.

However, it was at this moment that Kirstie felt an odd feeling within her stomach. She couldn't quite put her finger on it though.

I promise next chapter will be happier I'm sorryyyyyy