39

A/N Hi I love you ❤️

The morning sun crept up and shined through the rooms of the beach house. Kevin didn't sleep that night. He sat in the library and read. He must've read half of a five hundred page book.

The first to wake was Mitch, Kevin only knew he'd gotten up when he heard him stumble a bit getting out of his bedroom.

The patter of his bare feet went to the kitchen, then over to the library.

"Hi Kevy." Mitch smiled sweetly. Kevin returned it and chuckled a bit.

"Hey Mitch, are you the only one up?" Kevin asked marking his place in the book with a sticky note and closing it.

Mitch nodded sleepily and yawned. He waltzed over and plopped on the leather couch opposite to Kevin.  Kevin laughed quietly as Mitch fluttered his way.

About an hour passed and Scott groggily hoisted himself into Kirstie's room to wake her up.

Kevin's heart pounded in anticipation and dread.

"Can I have you guys's attention please?"  Kevin announced, and all tired eyes were on him.

The pain he felt before even saying anything was unbearable, he didn't feel he could do it without breaking down like he did on the porch.

He chewed on his lip and took in a long breath, and spoke on the way out.

"Avi isn't here right now," He said shortly.  They all looked around, realizing the truth to his words.

"W-well where is he?"  Matt asked gripping the blanket around him.  Kevin looked down, he didn't want to continue.  It would hurt him too bad.  He waited a few minutes in silence, all his best friends waiting for an answer.

They all knew something was off, Kevin was always happy-go-lucky or their optimistic friend. Him being quiet for this long was completely unheard of.

The silence seemed to stab at their ears, waiting for the answer they all deserved, but didn't want to hear. Kevin didn't even want to hear himself say it.

"Avi is a Runner. He won't be home for a while." Kevin finally said, and the mood in the room dropped from anticipation, to defeat.

Mitch looked down, feeling like he needed to be strong for his family, but part of his family was out, going to the place he and everyone else hated most.

Scott looked at Kevin in disbelief. Once Scott realized Kevin's eyes made no effort to flick around the room, or use his ability to detect any sort of dishonesty within him, he found none. Scott looked downcast at Mitch, who was struggling.

Matt struggled to wrap this idea around his mind, why would he leave without telling anyone? Why would he leave in the first place?

Kirstie stayed completely silent. She hadn't moved since the news was delivered. She knew, but hearing it confirmed from Kevin made it just that more painful to process. In these situations, Kirstie would turn to Avi for advice. That is was hurt too.

They went about their day, cuddled and watching movies. Everybody seemed to be in an odd state, but each other's company helped a bunch.

*****

They'd all separated into different old beat up cars, to mask the probability of them getting caught.

Avi was with two people, a boy and a girl. The boy was the one with brown, curly hair and light green eyes. And a girl with brown hair and blonde dipped highlights.

It remained quiet for a bit of time until the girl spoke up.

"Maybe we can learn each other's names? Maybe... a-and our abilities. Sorry I-"

"I think that's a great idea! I'm Avi and I have intangibility."  Avi hushed the nervous girl with his comforting voice. 

There was a tiny bit of bicker between the boy and the girl on who would go first.  Avi smiled sadly as he turned on the road towards their hideaway. 

Their bickering reminded him of Mitch and Kirstie.  The boy was a bit sassy and the girl was more reserved and calm.

"Fine! I'll go first, baby."  The girl stuck her tongue out at the boy and the boy returned it.  Avi snickered.

"I'm Lindsey, Lindsey Sterling. I have Brainwashing."  The girl said proudly.

"That's a cool one! I can see why they brought you.  You?"  Avi asked the boy.  The boy bit his lip and folded his arms insecurely.

Both Lindsey and Avi recognizes this odd behavior.  It was just like Mitch when Avi first met him.   This boy was shy and didn't want to be here. 

Understandable.

Avi stopped on the side of the dirt road and turned around, taking the boy's hand in his own. 

"You'll be okay, you can trust us.  We're here for the same reason you are."  Avi's voice was comforting and eased the boy a bit.

"Harry Styles.  Energy conversion." 

With that, Avi's heart dropped.