Chapter 15

Jake

Arriving back at my cottage after training I'm greeted by a chaotic mess, the dishes still left on the countertop from that morning and toys are spread out all over my living room but I haven't got time to clean it up now, I have to shower and get ready to go next door for this birthday dinner for Emma.

I had made a plan with Sebastian, Daniel and a few of the warriors that we would go exploring up at Emma's house in the morning, now that I'm certain that this wasn't just some random attack. My biggest concern is for Emma right now, keeping her safe and protected.

I reach next door at the same time as Daniel who I notice is carrying two bottles of Champagne, most likely at the request of Serena, that girl loves her bubbly. I need to talk to my sister about what Dr Eaton has told me, see if Louisa could find something I'm missing in the reports plus also share the doctors grave prediction for what could happen to Emma, now that her father has passed. I greet Serena and Emma and ask to talk privately to Lou.

"What's up?" She asked me once out of earshot of everyone else. I'd already gone over the details of the folder with Sebastian and Daniel and I knew Daniel would most likely tell Serena later, after the dinner party but I wanted to be the one to tell Lou. I hand her the manilla folder and she browses through the reports, I can tell she understands them without my explanation when she looks up at me with tears in her eyes.

"She had terminal cancer? She's not meant to be alive?" She questions as she studies the last report.

"Dr Eaton seems to think that Emma's Father may have used witchcraft to keep her alive and she said if that's the case, now that he has died we don't know how much longer she will survive, not knowing how he did it. Im taking the boys back up to the house tomorrow, we will not leave until we have our answers"

"Do you think Emma knows any of this?" She asks, I watch as the tears now fall freely from her eyes.

"I don't think so and I don't want to tell her either, I just want to make her time with us as special as we can. Dr Eaton said that her Father kept her captive in that house, that she was never allowed to leave but I don't get the impression from Emma that he was malicious or hurt her so I think he's done it out of protection. I'm going to leave the folder with you though, you're better at figuring this stuff out than I am".

Lou and I step back out into the kitchen, I'm aware of Serena mind linking Louisa to ask if she's alright while she distracts Emma with Champagne. Serena may not be the smartest of girls but she is truely sweet, she and Louisa have been friends since they were just pups and it's a friendship that I've seen grow and evolve over the years since they've both found their mates.

"What do you think of Emma's new look" Serena asks me after noticing that I couldn't take my eyes off of Emma. She looks stunning, breath taking, gorgeous, beautiful, outstanding, perfection.

"Nice" I answer her....NICE, what the hell? Grabbing a beer from the fridge I leave the room embarrassed.

"I told her she looked nice" I admit to Sebastian and Dan, once away from the women

"Well that was polite" Sebastian laughs.

"That was more than what I said when Serena asked me the same thing, although I just didn't fancy spending the night in the dog house, you on the other hand could of been spending the night with the girl but not with the word nice, that won't get you anywhere" Dan joins in the laughter at my expense and I groan. I always manage to say the wrong thing in front of this girl.