XXV

Work had shipped out CSI's to help another department on a case. It was a three hour drive there to see a dead body and take some pictures only to be followed by a three hour drive home. It was a very lonely day aside from the thirty minutes I got to talk to Caitlin on her lunch break.

When I got home, Caitlin greeted me with a kiss. She smirked and followed up with an idea: "let's go to bed?"

It was only seven o' clock but I was definitely okay with going to bed early tonight.

As soon as we arrived at the CCPD, Joe had to leave almost immediately. He got his assignment fairly quickly from Captain Singh and left with a few other cops and detectives. It seemed to be time-sensitive but nothing too serious.

After the group dispersed, I was left holding a sleeping Nova and staring directly at Captain Singh. I could see a slight smile creep on the captain's face when he noticed who I was. He shook his head with a slight smile displayed to let me know he was glad to see me.

"Barry Allen, the laziest CSI I've ever known. How are you?" Captain Singh almost went to shake my hand but he stopped when he realized Nova was resting comfortably in my arms.

"I'm well. Caitlin and I got married and had this little gem that's sleeping on my shoulder," I directed my gaze to the sleeping beauty who was so peaceful you would think my arm was her bed.

Captain Singh congratulated me on all my success in the past years. As much as I hated to work for him, it was great to catch up on everything CCPD and life related. It was so great, the thought of coming back to work for him almost slipped into my mind again. Almost.

He talked about how the death of The Flash really hurt the department. Apparently, he hadn't anticipated the crime surge that would come in the few months after and they suffered with a shortage of cops. Since The Flash died so unexpectedly, the department didn't have as many cops as it should to compensate and the city went into a crime spiral.

Soon enough, Kid Flash became trustworthy enough and feared enough that crime began to decrease again. Despite this decrease, Captain Singh did mention that the statistics aren't even close to as low as they were at the height of the Flash's career.

I looked around at the familiar building. There did seem to be a lot more people here than I remember. Regardless, hearing what Captain Singh had to say made me feel like being the Flash for so long was the right decision. After Caitlin and I began our serious relationship, I was questioning whether or not being the Flash was a good choice. I went back and forth between the "I am putting my everything in danger" and the "I am doing so much good for the city" mindsets so much. It was hard to love what I was doing when I know it put the woman I love in danger and prevented us from having a normal life. Even to this day, I played around with the thoughts of "what if I left sooner?". Hearing Captain Singh say all the great things he did, made me feel like I had made all the right decisions regarding The Flash.

"You know, I can't believe you have your own kid," He sighed in disbelief.

"This little girl is my everything. It used to be Caitlin but when Nova was born, she got booted out of the top spot," I joked, making him laugh.

A young police officer grabbed Captain Singh's attention. I couldn't hear everything they were saying but it sounded like I would have to let him go back to work now. The fast-paced momentum of this department filled me up and made me feel like I should be in a hurry. If I had to be in this mindset at work as well as with a daughter at home I would sleep for days. All of the sudden, I was feeling thankful for my boring CSI life in the suburbs.

"It was nice to catch up, but I am being ushered back to work," Captain Singh sighed in defeat, "come back and visit more often. We also have an open CSI spot if you want."

After saying my goodbyes, I walked around. My old office was being occupied by someone else but it looked relatively the same as it did when I was here. I smiled as I thought back to all the memories up here. After all, this is where I was struck by lightning, putting the rest of my life in motion to end up here at this exact moment.

Nova squirmed slightly, indicating she was awake. Thank god, my arms were about to collapse. I set Nova down and grabbed her hand so she wouldn't wander into something unsafe.

"Can I help you?" A young woman wearing a CSI jacket asked as if I was bothering her.

"Sorry, this used to be my office. Just looking around for old time sake," I informed her but she seemed annoyed with my answer.

"Well I have work to do so if you don't mind leaving," I complied with her demand and headed for the door, "make sure she doesn't get into any of the chemicals."

I exited the office and made my way downstairs. Since the CSI I just had the pleasure of meeting was wearing a jacket that was slightly wet, I inferred she had just gotten back. Downstairs, the group of people that had left eagerly as I arrived were now all incredibly soaked from the rain.

"My work is done here. Let's go back to STAR Labs," Joe came up to me and Nova with an umbrella.

When Nova realized that it was raining she was very unhappy. To calm her, Joe picked her up and opened the umbrella above them. Nova's mood brightened up instantly. If anyone should get to be grumpy it's me. I was now getting drenched by the rain and my perfect hair day was ruined. All I wanted in this moment was to get to STAR Labs as quickly as possible.

1040