XXII

"Barry we HAVE to get a dog," Caitlin begged as we walked past the pet adoption fair in the park.

I looked into her hopeful, pleading eyes. I closed my eyes and shook my head. The time we were spending together was great but I was worried adding another responsibility would impede on that.

Caitlin sighed frustratingly. Moments later, though, her head was resting on my shoulder and her hand was in mine. She looked at peace as we walked.

5 Years Later

Five years went by after Caitlin's Central City trip without a need to go back. We have a three year old now that consumes most of our time and we keep in regular contact with Cisco so a trip was never needed. This new house was feeling more and more homey with a mini us running around as our life in Central City began to feel like a distant memory.

"Come here, cutie," I opened my arms wide as my daughter ran to me.

She had been playing with legos but, being a daddy's girl, Nova had to stop whatever she was doing to come greet me as I got home from work. Her hugs were always the best part of my day. They never lasted very long, however, as she normally remembered the fun she was having before I walked in and was pulled back to it.

I walked into the kitchen to find Caitlin making a delicious meal. She turned around and smiled at me. I planted a kiss on her cheek as a diversion so I could easily steal an apple slice from the cutting board. In response, I got a glare but it was followed by a loving smile.

"She looks like your mom," Caitlin mentioned, gesturing to Nova.

Her auburn hair and eyes resembled the memory I had in my mind of my mom. Even just from pictures, Caitlin could see the resemblance between the two.

When we found out we were having a girl, Caitlin automatically suggested Nora for a name. I turned it down. As much as I loved my mom, I didn't want my daughter to have to feel the pressure of growing up with the same name as someone who was loved so dearly. We compromised on Nova for that reason. It was a nod to my mom through the similarities of the names without the potential pressure of having to feel like she needed to live up to my mom.

Nova's middle name however, we felt, was obvious from the moment we found out she was a girl. Francesca was a nod to Cisco and how he helped us in getting to this point. Together her full name is Nova Francesca Allen. When we first said it out loud, Caitlin and I knew it was perfect.

"She has your smile," I looked at Caitlin who was smiling ear to ear after that statement. I loved her smile.

"Go get Nova and the table ready for dinner please it's almost done," Caitlin switched the subject.

Nova is the most responsible three year old I've ever met. The moment I asked her to put away the legos, she did it with no questions asked. After that, she even helped set the placemats and silverware out. I watched in pride as she set a fork at each of our chairs, hoping this want to help would never go away.

Just as Caitlin set the food out, our doorbell rang. I promptly got up to answer it. I opened the door to the biggest surprise I could have possibly imagined.

"Barry?" Iris could barely get the words out as she realized I was the one standing in front of her.

"I can explain..." I tried to start but I was cut off by Caitlin running to my side.

"Iris, why don't you come inside so I can explain?" She began to walk back to the table and Iris followed.

Well, this was definitely not how I planned on dinner going. 

657