XVI

Caitlin was crying laughing but I was standing there with an annoyed expression. She kept clicking play on the video she got sent of me being the victim of a cruel April Fools joke.

"Awe, it's okay, I still love you," she pursed her lips but continued to laugh.

"I'm thinking about taking that ring back," I said playfully and she gasped in offense.

Caitlin panned over the city using the Star Labs satellite for any unusual bursts of energy. The only place that came up was the power plant which, of course, would draw a lot of energy. I groaned. I thought my idea was genius forensic thinking but I was clearly wrong.

"Maybe they thought of this and held him somewhere that always uses large amounts of energy," Caitlin opined.

Dang, she is smart. "This is why we're married," I kissed her forehead as I headed out the door.

I arrived quickly, as per usual, and searched the place. Nothing turned up. Frustration was clouding my judgement so much that I couldn't even think straight. Then I heard Cisco, someone we had just rescued, tell me about a secret room he discovered on blueprints and remembered that we were doing good. These things take time and I needed to remember that more often.

As I approached the door I heard a deep voice and then a hard punch. Cisco was right, Wally had to be there.

Sure enough, I opened the door to find an injured and unconscious Wally chained to some sort of machine. I didn't have much time to fully take in the situation because a man lunged towards me.

A fight ensued and, with the help of my speed, I won easily. Why Wally only had one bodyguard was beyond me but I had to move quickly to get him out before the man awoke from his not-so-peaceful slumber.

Wally has a tube running from inside his arm to the machine and his hands were handcuffed to a metal pole. He was morning but his eyes weren't open and he wasn't moving. His powers must have been getting drained because he wasn't healing like he should be able to. I quickly broke the handcuffs but he didn't even flinch.

The tube was much more of a project. When I touched it, a ripple of energy coursed through my body that put me in a lot of pain. I moved my hand at an impossible speed and detached him from the machine. The tube was stuck in his arm, but at this moment I just needed to get out of here.

Nothing can be easy so the guard woke up just as I was ready to pick up Wally and leave. He was groggy but still able to put up a good fight. I was faster, though, and only allowed him to get one slash with his knife on me before knocking him out.

Even though my pain level was reaching new heights, I picked up Wally and ran back. Caitlin already had a bed and hospital equipment set up for him so she quickly got him hooked up to everything. Cisco attended to my wounds as I sat on an office chair. He stitched up the knife wound and covered it. He wasn't sure, but his suspicion was that, whatever affected Wally, also affected me when I touched the connecting tube so he wanted to over treat me just Incase I took longer to heal than normal.

"Wally should be fine, but he could be asleep for a while while his body heals," Cait informed us then looked to me, "how are you?"

"In pain but I'm cool," I shrugged, earning a smile from a stressed Caitlin.

Whenever I could tell she is overwhelmed, I always try to do semi-Funny anecdotes to remind her that, even in dark times, there's room for a smile. Even if it doesn't take away her stress for good, it relieves it for a moment and sometimes that can make all the difference.

"I think I'm going to try and sleep. You guys should too," Cisco walked out of the cortex in a sleepy manner.

Somehow I knew Caitlin wouldn't leave Wally alone in this room so I gathered some pillows and blankets and spread them on the floor. I took her hand and led her to our makeshift bed for some much needed rest. 

727