Chapter 29

~Your POV~
My legs are weak, and I'm stumbling with almost every step I take.

It doesn't deter me though.

If anything, it makes me feel even more dedicated to my mission.

I have to get to the bottom of this.

None of this makes any sense. The mission paper wasn't anywhere in the cave or the bag, and this place is completely deserted. It's bizzare, to the point where I don't even believe anything I was seeing. Is anything here even real?

I step up to one of the houses Natsu and I saw earlier. I knock on the door, the extremely hard wood making my knuckles throb. Or maybe I was just hitting it really hard, but who knew.

The door simply swings open. There's no one behind it, and the hut is completely barren save for the one small table in the middle.

I walk over to the table and notice a piece of paper on it.

I step closer and see that the paper is yellowed from age. It has scribbles on it, probably in a different language that I don't understand. It looks like runes of some sort, maybe Lucy or Levy could help me out. Or Freed, even.

But it was just Natsu and I now.

I look around, no one else is around me. I sigh, my shoulders slumping. Nevermind, it's just me now.

I poke the paper once. Twice. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, so I turn it over and my eyes widen.

This... Isn't our mission paper.

It does, however, look strikingly similar. The only way I knew it wasn't our copy was the fact that it was covered in drawings and writings. Writings that I still didn't understand, and written in a handwriting I had never seen before.

And being a member of the most famous guild in Fiore, I've seen a lot of people's handwriting.

I can't wrap my head around it. Everything is so strange.

I pocket the paper and exit the house, shutting the door on my way out.

I step up to another house, and see the exact same thing. Another copy of the mission paper, covered in different words everytime.

Everything just felt like it was repeating, and I would've thought it was if it wasn't for the sky changing colours from night to day.

The sun rises over the mountains, and I groan. I had made no progress in the — apparently — seven or so hours I'd been looking.

Tch, this was stupid.

I try my best to recall the way back to the cave, praying that Natsu hadn't woke up yet. Knowing him, he'd have gone on a rampage at my disappearance and burnt everything in his path on his journey to find me to ashes.

Yeah, no, that was not ideal.

I eventually make it to a spot in the land where I see the mountain cave in the distance. Nothing seemed to be burnt or destroyed, which was good for me.

I decide to scan the writings on the papers as I make my way back to the cave. Everything was in a different language, maybe even multiple different languages. The point was, I tried to read them and failed.

Until I came across something written in words that I could actually read.

"The... Dragon—" I squint to try and get a better look at the small writing— "Test... Begins now."

I gasp. The ground is shaking under my feet. My vision goes blurry, almost as if I'm... Crying?

I feel water on my cheeks, presumably from I eyes.

'So I am crying.'

I stumble around, unknowingly screaming and thrashing as I fall to the ground. My tears drip slowly from my face, forming somewhat of a puddle on the ground.

My vision goes red, and-

And oh, it seems Natsu has woken up.

Words: 645

Me, double updating to show my love for you guys: 👉👈

Also me, knowing that I might not update for a long time after this (hopefully I will oh gosh) : 🥺