Chapter 27

To get through it.

~3rd Person POV~
Skipping happily on the road, the cheery H/N made her way home, paying no mind to the pouting dragon slayer behind her.

Said man crept up sneakily behind her, snaking his arms around her waist and nuzzling his head into he crook of her neck.

"Natsu, what're you doing?" The girl smiled, placing her own hands on her boyfriend's, halting in place.

A muffled response tickled her neck, making her giggle.

"Stop ignoring me." He groaned, whimpering.

She ruffled his hair, "The day I'll ignore you is the day I die."

Natsu grinned, making her blush. He had that effect on her, and he loved it.

He leaned into her touch, craving it like a drug. "I love you."

"I love you too, Natsu."

The rest of the walk home was silent.

•••

~Natsu's POV~
I groaned inwardly. This was not supposed to happen.

It was going to be a solo job, so I could get my mind off of the season and its... effects.

The very one I was trying oh-so-hard to avoid shouldn't be packing her bags to go with me.

This is a disaster.

We were going to be out in a hotel all alone with no one else around. At the guild, at least there would be someone distracting me the whole time, but now it was just us.

Sure, Happy was there, but I had a feeling he'd be the one staging the moments.

I was doomed.

"Hey, babe?" My princess called.

A jolt.

"Y-Yeah?"

"Are you sure you can go on missions? You can stay at home and rest, you know." She peeked her head in through the doorway, a caring glint in her eye that made me melt inside.

Another jolt.

"It's fine," it isn't, "I can manage," no, I can't.

"If you say so." She smiled, returning to the living room.

Jolt.

I groaned, stuffing my head in my hands. This was going to suck.

~Your POV~
Yeah, I believe you, totally.

He's not okay.

I don't know why he insists on going on this mission when he can just rest. Keeping in mind that the season takes control of your instincts, going out to fight isn't exactly the brightest idea. Then again, it's Natsu, so I'll just have to take his word for it.

Doesn't mean I'm not worried.

Dang it, I'm his girlfriend, I can worry if I want to.

I triple checked my luggage, waiting for him in the living room. "Natsu, we gotta go!"

"Yup!" He called back, stumbling out of the room like an idiot, bags in hand.

I stood up and lightened the load on his hands. "Ask for help next time, dummy."

"Nah."

"That wasn't a question."

•••

After around an hour or so on the train — groaning, whining and complaining included — we got to the little village.

We got off the train, only to see it almost completely trashed. It was in ruins, with only one or two houses left standing in the distance.

As we made our way to them, we passed by the rubble that used to be concrete, strong places to live in. Toys, books, furniture and the like littered the floor.

I shot Natsu a glance, and to make matters worse, he seemed to be frantically looking around. 

On instinct.

I took a big whiff of the air around me. I couldn't really smell anything over the smoke, but Natsu seemed to be having much more luck than me. He did have heightened instincts after all.

He suddenly grabbed my hand, dragging me along in almost a seemingly random direction. That is, until I regained my bearings and looked around. He was pulling me towards the houses. I wanted to make him release his hold, but was afraid since I didn't know how easy to trigger his instincts made him.

So I simply let him drag me. And drag me, and drag me some more.

We passed by the houses, and my confusion increased tenfold.

"Natsu, where are we going?"

"Somewhere you'll be safe." He answered, a low growl rumbling his throat.

And- oh, his grip was getting a little- a little too tight for me. I lightly pulled, but he only yanked me back to him harder, making me stumble.

"Trust me, Y/N."

During a normal circumstance, I would, without a doubt. But now...

Now he was just scaring me.