Epilogue: The Last Dance

They have to leave Netherfield.

Mr. Darcy had already decided that, the moment he heard Mrs. Bennet talk about her intentions. He wondered how someone so natural as Adele was born from a woman so pretentious. As that fleeting thought crossed his mind, he looked longingly at the woman sitting beside her- as Bingley arranged at the last moment- who was busy observing Miss Bingley, who glared at her, with an amused impression.

If he left the the next day, he would not see his love ever again. He would lose her graces as well as distance himself. It was too much to do, yet it was his only choice. He had observed Jane that night and was convinced that she did not love Charles. Maybe she was forced by the mother, however, Adele did not tell this to him. Maybe Adele does not know herself.

Mrs. Bennet was busy boasting about her matchmaking of Jane and Bingley and how richly she would be married, while Miss Elizabeth was trying to shush her but in vain.

From her frozen movements, he knew Adele had heard her mother too. Her expression was hard and cold .

As the supper ended, while the others sat in the parlor, Adele left for the balcony, thinking no one had seen her. She was frustrated and clearly fed up with her mother's behaviour.

She sighed deeply and closed her eyes, leaning on the rails. The air was cool, caressing her face and the full shiny moon made her glow like a goddess.

"I thought you were enjoying the evening," a soothing voice balmed her erratic heart.

"Well, every enjoyment comes to an end."

"Your mother?"

She sighed again, "I do not know why she is after money and marriage. I do not like her big mouth, she is rather decreasing the chances of Jane."

"Meaning?"

"Jane loves Bingley, she really does. I have never seen her eyes so shiny or cheeks so flushed with happiness. Mr. Bingley clearly makes her happy. h
However, she is very bad at showing her emotions, she always was. Father says she takes that from me. She doesn't even show her true feelings to me or Elizabeth. I am worried about it. People tend to take her shyness as indifference and go to wrong conclusion. Oh, Fitzwilliam! What if something happens to forsake her happiness?"

Darcy was shocked, to say the least, by the outburst. However, He did not say anything. He did not believe what he was listening, however, he knew that to be the truth. He had seen love before. Goergiana was in love with Wickham. He had seen her eyes shining and cheeks flushed when she energetically talked about him to Darcy. He could not lie, he saw the same with Jane. Even Charles had that delicate flush and shine in him.

Darcy had known his friend to flirt with almost any woman that came his way, he couldn't help it. It was his amiability. He was a good man, Charles, nor was Jane so much inferior to him. They would match almost perfectly with their alike nature.

He could not believe that not a moment ago, he was finding faults in the match and planning to drive away Charles from Jane. There he stood, like a hypocrite now, finding all the reasons in the world, why they should be together. That was the effect of Adele and her opinion. That was what she did to him.

He looked at her, finding her already observing her with calcutating gaze.

"You don't agree with me?" it was a question, however, said like a conclusion. She knew he was evaluating what she said and that he decidedly disagreed. He said nothing just looked back at her. She did not mind silence, however, this particular situation demanded an answer and she was innerved by the quiet. She looked back at the couple and sighed.

"Dance with me, this once."

His head jerked towards her at her proposal. Mary was completing her song and preparing to play the second. He could only nod and closed the distance. They weren't country dancing, it was a waltz.

"I know that you plan on fleeing tomorrow," she whispered, "I just wished you wouldn't."

"Charles is a fickle creature, when it comes to your sex," he whispered back with a sigh, "he finds himself in love with a woman one night, and wait for a week, he wouldn't remember her name. I am just worried for your sister. My plan would benefit her in the long run, even if you don't see it now."

They continued to dance, even after the song concluded. Their heart proving the required rhythm and they were content. Mesmerized and memorising every single flaw and perfection in each other, for when they would meet again, they did not know. They enjoyed and cherished their last dance.