Chapter 2: Shock and Abhorrence

The half of the evening passed as pleasantly as a crowded place ever could for Ms. Adele. She was content sitting at a corner with Mary on her one side and Elizabeth also joined her for a set due to the lack of men to dance.

Darcy and Bingley were standing on the earshot of the three ladies. Elizabeth and Mary giggled at Bingley's comment on how he hated to see Darcy stupidly standing by himself. Darcy, however, retorted that he despised dancing and preferred to be particularly acquainted with his partner.

"Your sisters are engaged," he continued, "and there is not another woman in the room whom it would not be a punishment to me to stand up with."

"A punishment indeed for the unfortunate lady," Elizabeth whispered to Adele who smiled a little and raised her brow.

"I would not be so fastidious as you are," cried Bingley. He went on further to say that he had never met with so many pleasant girls in his life as he has in that room. He believed there were several who seemed uncommonly pretty.

"Of course, including a certain sister of us," was Lizzie's next comment.

"You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room," said Darcy, looking at the second eldest Miss Bennet.

"Oh! She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld. But there is one of her sisters sitting down just behind you, a certain violet-eyed lady, who is very pretty, and I dare say very agreeable. Do let me ask my partner to introduce you."

Adele stiffened at his words and Elizabeth was quick to notice that. She squeezed her elder sister's hand while Adele closed her eyes for a fraction of a moment.

"Which do you mean?" and turning around, he looked for a moment at Adele, till catching her purple eyes, he drew his own and coldly said, "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me, and I am in no humor to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me."

Mr. Bingley followed his suggestion though Mr. Darcy stood there for a while as if to examine the room. The three Bennet ladies were shocked though Elizabeth was first to recover.

"Slighted indeed but is not my sister rather the men who approached her," she said in a rather loud voice for Mr. Darcy to hear. He did and his ear turned to them in alacrity.

"Dear sister," she continued satisfied to catch his ear, "I do not understand why people cannot wait till getting out of the earshot of people they so outrageously misjudge."

"Elizabeth, you must try to hold your tongue, or else you would never be in my good opinion," scolded Adele and rather hiding another meaning for who was listening to them.

Mr. Darcy walked off rather embarrassed that his bitter tongue was heard by the very lady, it was pointed towards.

Adele, remained with no very cordial feelings towards him, satisfied with the indirect revenge she had taken. Elizabeth told the story, however, with great spirit among her friends; for she had a lovely, playful disposition, which delighted in anything ridiculous.

The evening altogether passed off pleasantly for the whole family.

________

"Father, I am hopeful that you regret sending mother and us to the assembly," said Adele "for she talks of nothing else, and that prideful friend of Mr. Bingley much-despised me."

"I am, my sweet, for my peace had been much harmed. And if not of dances and refinery, your mother speaks much of Mr. Darcy and even wished my presence at that moment for nothing but give the gentleman a set down of mine."

Mr. Bennet chuckled, though Adele granted only a small smile. "I am not sure since when mother started to care so much of me."

"She is, but your mother," he sighed, "and no mother ever wishes to hear such words for her daughter."

"But she thinks the same," she said in a small voice as if embarrassed of herself.

"She sees nothing more than Jane and Lydia sometimes, for you are above the age of marriage and much more quick and witty for her taste."

"It is the first time I felt I am not good enough for the society," she confessed.

"Maybe because the words came out of a handsome and rich gentleman's mouth."

"Or this society is not good enough for you," stated Elizabeth while coming inside the room to find a book.

"And Papa did I mentioned how well Lizzie spoke back," said Adele with eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Ady!"

Adele was too playful at the moment to stopped and Mr. Bennet laughed how well his two favorite daughters bit back.

"The only thing is," grimaced Lizzie.

"That we have to face Mr. Darcy now and then," winced Adele.

"For your mother is quite a matchmaker and Mr. Bingley has taken quite a fancy for Jane," completed Mr. Bennet.

"But one can always hide in one's room or library."

"Not before I catch you!"

The two sisters gasped at their mother's voice while Mr. Bennet gave a hearty laugh.
_____________

It had been a week since the assembly and Mrs. Bennet was quite firm on giving a huge dinner within ten days. Thus, the chosen time was the next to that day. Everything had been cross-checked and Mrs. Bennet's nerves were at peace. The only thing left was the dressing of the Bennet sisters.

The mother had insisted Jane and Adele on seeing to the needs and thus they were in Meryton, roaming from shop to shop, much to Adele's chagrin. Elizabeth also found herself stuck for the same.

"Can we now conclude the journey?" Asked Adele when her basket was full. Elizabeth and Jane were on her heels and when the answer came positive, she couldn't help but sigh looking at the two.

When she turned forward, she was about to crash into a gentleman but he held her arm. She gasped, "My apologies, sir, I- Mr. Darcy!"

She exclaimed as if accusing something and could not help but look in the eyes as she remembered their last encounter. Darcy flushed deeply at the same remembrance.

The beautiful purple look stormy with anger and the blue flecks even sharpened their depth. The blue and purple looked vaguely familiar.

"Ah! The three eldest Bennets! Our stars must be shining today, Darcy."

The good-natured exclaim brought them out of their reverie and maintained their distance. Adele courtesied with the other two in tow.

"I highly doubt the sentiment is shared with the other man."

This murmur of Elizabeth was heard only by her sisters which caused Jane to disguise her laugh as a cough and Adele to stiffen.

"I am of the hope, Mr. Bingley, that your party is to come to our humble adobe tomorrow?"

"Certainly! But Miss Bennet, my sisters would not be able to make it, and thus, only three of us men would be present."

"I hope they are in good health?"

"They are," Darcy answered this time, much to Adele's shock.

"We shall be on our way," she said curtly ignoring Darcy. She courtesied and went her way with the other sisters soon following her ways.

"Darcy," said Bingley, "has there been an argument between Ms. Adele and you?"

"Why, certainly not!" he blushed under Bingley's scrutinizing gaze, "she had heard me at the ball, though, while I said she wasn't handsome enough."

"Darcy! This way you will never recommend yourself to any lady."
______