Chapter 4: After Jane

As soon as the dance ended, Darcy was happy enough to stand at his isolated corner with a cold expression. Adele joined the room in a few minutes and became the object of Darcy's eyes.

"I can guess the subject of your reverie," said Caroline Bingley.

"I should imagine not," still staring at the lovely yet mysterious lady who was standing with her father and Mary.

"You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings in this manner- in such society, and indeed I am quite of your opinion. I was never more annoyed! This insipidity and yet the noise- the nothingness and yet the self-importance of all these people! What would I give to hear your strictures of them!"

"Your conjuncture is totally wrong, I assure you. My mind was more agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which the pair of the most beautiful eyes, I have ever seen, in the face of the equally beautiful woman can bestow." Miss Bingley, with a rapid turn of the head, faced him with jealous curiosity about knowing more about the woman who caught this man's fancy. "Miss Adele Bennet," Darcy coldly obliged to the silent pleading.

"Ah! Miss Adele! Of course, the pair of unique purple eyes with icy blue fleck. Still, I am all astonishment. How long has she been your favorite? And pray- when I am to wish you joy?"

The conversation went on.

Adele, on the other hand, watched Bingley and Jane as they were the loveliest things. How unknown was to her that she too was seen by someone in the same way? After half the evening passed by, the party witnessed a gentleman entering the house. He was young and handsome than most with green eyes and blonde hair.

Darcy was occupied staring at Adele and did not realize the addition. Though the brightening of her face made him break the trance and follow her line of vision.

The man went to Sir and Lady Lucas and greeted them as a son. He turned with a smile.

"James!" exclaimed all Bennet sisters and went to him. They curtsied and he bowed with equal grace and happiness. Charlotte Lucas followed on their heels and greeted him.

"How are you, brother James?"

James Lucas smiled at her sister as an answer. "And what about you, my dear sisters?" He asked looking at Charlotte and Miss Bennets.

"We are good," said Lydia, and Kitty added, "happy to see you."

"Jane and Mary nodded while Charlotte smiled back. Elizabeth looked at Adele and whispered to James, "though, someone is not happy."

James looked at Adele, who was only giving a small smile and looking not at him. "My dear Miss Bennet," he said and kissed her hand, "am I not welcome?"

"I thought you were talking to your sisters, though I consider myself as your friend."

"So how are you, my dearest and loveliest friend?" His tone and eyes were equally affectionate.

"As happy as I can be to see a long lost friend? How have you been, James? It has been 6 years to the least."

"I am good and I know it has been a long while since the last time we met," he looked around and smiled at her, "may I have a dance?"

"I do not dance, Mr. Lucas. I have not for four years."

"Do not disappoint me. You declared us as friends and not brother and sister."

"A set would not harm," exclaimed Lydia eagerly.

"I am sorry, Lydia," Adele glared at her and then turned to him, "Though, you may dance with Elizabeth or Mary."