Chapter 6: Accomplished Lady

"Oh! certainly," cried his faithful assistant, "no one can be really esteemed accomplished, who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address, and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved."

"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this, she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."

"I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any."

"Are you so severe upon your own sex to doubt the possibilities of this all?"

"I never saw such a woman. I never saw such capacity, and taste, and application, and elegance, as you describe, united."

"Do not be severe upon yourself, madam," said Bingley softly, "for your sisters, Miss Elizabeth and Miss Jane that is, left me no stranger with all these qualities of yours and also added much more to the list."

"I wish they would not have flattered me so badly, for I am not a good dancer for it has been 4 years since the last I danced. Neither I have anything in my air and manner of walking nor in my tone and my address and expressions. I am rather plain in those fields."

"You are not plain or else-" Bingley was interrupted by his sister.

"But you are no London lady and one has hardly any exposure in town," Miss Bingley stated feeling superior though hurt by her previous statement.

"I have lived there for more than 10 years, madam, and had a good exposure."

"Whom did you live with? Your aunt and uncle in Cheapside."

"No, Upper Seymour Street with my aunt's sister, Lady Ellen Marshall. My mother thought I lived with my uncle though he sent me there for better company and knowledge."

The room was shocked by the knowledge that Lady Marshall was her so close connection.

"The one who lived near Derbyshire?" Darcy questioned. Lady Marshall was a widow and looked after her husband's estate till her son grew of age. Nevertheless, their son died an unfortunate death and it was said that she had already found an heir to the estate. Their estate, Kingsport, was too large and most beautiful, even more than Pemberley. He remembered visiting there with his father and also his sister, but mostly alone. Then he grew up and went to his University, leaving everything behind, even his first love.

"Yes, even I lived with her in winters and autumn, when she did not live in London."

"She was a close friend of my mother."

"Your sister was a close friend of mine," Adele thought, though, had no courage to speak.

"I did not know," she said instead, "I was allowed to roam freely and meet anyone I liked though I scarcely interacted myself."

Darcy only nodded while Adele excused herself to check on her sister and retire afterward to her own room.

"Adele Bennet," said Miss Bingley, when the door was closed upon her, "is one of those young ladies who seek to recommend themselves to the other sex by undervaluing their own; and with many men, I dare say, it succeeds. But, in my opinion, it is a paltry device, a very mean art."

"Undoubtedly," replied Darcy, to whom this remark was chiefly addressed, "there is meanness in all the arts which ladies sometimes condescend to employ for captivation. Whatever bears affinity to cunning is despicable."