Chapter 5: Heart's Desire

Adele was a very protective sister and had very sensitive affections for her sisters. When she saw Jane in such a condition, she forgot about everything else and only focused on how to regain Jane's health. A true lover of nature, Adele was always curious about the healing power that it possessed. She refused to trust any other doctor but nature itself.

The next day, she was keen to get her books from Longbourn and set instantly in healing her dear Jane.

"Albert," she said to the butler in the tone of strict authority, "please give this list to the gardener and also ask him to meet me with the supplies."

"Aye, madam," the butler nodded and left the room.

Mr. Darcy was a silent observer of the event along with Bingley and Hurst. He was astonished to see that a lady like Adele had taken pains to learn such an intricate subject and is using it too.

"Giga," she further instructed, "please get rags and two bowls of warm and cold water. Do ask other maids to prepare a cold bath too. At least it will give her some temporary relief. Ask the cook to warm a cup of water with holy basil, ginger, honey, turmeric, and cinnamon, if you will."

Giga courtesied and followed the instructions. Within minutes, two bowls were presented and all men were asked to leave the room. Adele dipped a rag in warm and another in cold water.

Two maids were instructed to press the rags on Jane's face one after the other while the bath was preparing. The gardener was summoned in another room and with his help, Adele made her own medicines for Jane while the medicinal water was for her own use, so that she had enough will to instruct the servants. Soon, Jane was in a bath and her head was massaged lightly by her sister.

After Adele had done all she could, there was a gradual increase of glow and color in Jane's face. Adele sighed in relief and it was then that she rested herself.

"Should not you be doing the same for your own illness?" Darcy asked.

"I am not prone to such illness for I have a proper intake of basil and turmeric along with various other medicinal plants, sir. Do not worry about me." She smiled lightly at the gentleman. "Would you tell me, though, where the library is? I would like to read a little."

Darcy nodded and escorted her himself. Adele did not leave with him until a maid was summoned to take care of Jane.

Adele was sure that the fever is gulping her too, though she was too proud of her immunity to give way to any such weakness. She, however, sat too near to the fire to be considered necessary and had a warm shawl around her. Darcy was already occupied to adore her abilities and affection towards her sisters to notice anything at first glance. However, he was able to see that Adele did look wan and weak with no color in her cheeks.

"Are you quite sure Ms. Bennet that you are healthy, for you do look pale?"

"I am quite fine, Mr. Darcy, though I am tired a little."

Darcy nodded and they started to read their books. However, when Darcy glanced at Adele, which was the first of the hundred times he did in half an hour, he observed her much carefully.

Her eyes were fixed at the book as if she was in it and he instantly wished himself to be the Book and her lips moved in a silent chanting as she read further. He was sure he had never seen such beauty ever in his life, even if he underestimated her beauty at first. Oh! How much he wished, he would not have said anything that time, for he was too ashamed to apologize now.
___________

At half-past six, Adele was summoned to the dinner. To the civil inquiries that then poured, she had the pleasure of distinguishing the much superior solicitude of Mr. Bingley's she could make a very favorable answer. Jane was by far better than the day before though the speed of the progress had declined and she was obliged to give her another big three dozes of the bitter liquid which was taken with no great pleasure nor any resistance. Her throat was still sour and Adele had asked that Cook make a Bowl of soup with the ingredients she told.