Chapter 14: Red for Love

Adele was determined to counter Mr Collins about the whole affair, she thought of flowing with her mother's plan and face the parson when he would offer the proposal. She sat at the end of the table, like any other day, and only heard the conversations with least interest and more thought. She dreaded the aftermath and thus ate as slowly as a sloth. No one but Mr Bennet noticed with the same glint in his eyes as he got when he teased Mrs Bennet.

"Addy, my dear, eat fast, you look so fatigued this early in the morning," he said wiggling his brows at her and smiling meaningfully.

"Father," glared Adele, "I am in no humor to do anything today, you may, however, continue to eat your breakfast." And mouthed, "before I decide that you had enough."

Mr Bennet paled at the prospect and continued to eat but silently while occasionally scowling at Adele.
__________________________

After breakfast, Adele attempted to walk out of the house, to the tenants, nevertheless, Mr Collins was too willed to wait for her return, thus, offered to go with her. Poor Adele was subject of Mrs Bennet's hard stare and thus, cowered to say no and huffed.

"Yes, Mr. Collins, you may, however, you have to promise not to interrupt when I conversate to them. They would shy away if you disturb the talk."

"I would, Miss Bennet, but be by your side and say only when talked to. My esteemed patroness, Lady Catherine, would sometimes ask me to go with the steward and I gratefully oblige."

"She only does so because she is too lethargic to do it herself, why do you think Fitzwilliam and Richard has to take an annual round to the estate," she thought while nodding and leading the way.
________________________

Darcy was anxious as he paced his chamber back and forth, the swooned mind going back to the one that made it all fuzzy and confused. His mind was in a turmoil while his heart was exploring the bridges of anxiety for he was ready to offer his mind, body and soul to the lady and tie her as his in holy matrimony.

Bingley had been sitting and watching his friend with an amused expression and chuckled silently at the thought of such a man cowering from claiming the lady he loved all those years of childhood, youth and maturity.

"It is very hilarious to see you pacing the chamber in anxiety about nothing but an ideal proposal," Darcy glared him while he sighed, "Darcy, be a brave man and go give her a dark red carnation, I am sure we have it in the gardens. You can ask Mrs Thompson and she may provide in."

"I should take your advice," he replied solemnly after pondering over it for a few moments, "Thank you, Bingley."

"Oh! Don't feel grateful, just drop a few hints and good words above me, will you? Maybe there would be another marriage in a few months then."

Darcy sighed disapprovingly and shook his head while leaving the room. He asked Mrs Thompson, the old gardener and got a beautiful dark red carnation.

He got his horse and rode towards Longbourn. Nevertheless, he sighed in relief when he saw Mary, for he had no wish to encounter Mrs. Bennet.

"Miss Mary," he got down and bowed curtly, "I hope you are in good spirits."

"I am thank you, nevertheless, same cannot be said for my sister, Adele. She is not fine ever since she accidentally heard my mother and Mr Collins talking in the dining room. She did not say anything, however, I am afraid Mr. Collins is going to propose."

His breath hitched, "Where are they?"

"To the tenants, Mr. Collins wished to take a round."

"Then, I must take my leave."

He did not spare a single minute and rode towards the tenants of Longbourn. He was in the woods between the houses when he heard two people talking. He tied the horse and walked closer.

"Miss Bennet," Mr. Collins cleared his throat, "I also wished to speak to you about something of utmost importance."

"Mr. Collins," she interrupted firmly, "before you speak, I want to clarify some points. I heard that you wanted to make a proposal of marriage, when you were talking to my mother. I wished to say a few things too."

Darcy felt agitated for he thought she was accepting his proposal.

"I am grateful but I apologise for I cannot accept it," she said softly and he sighed in relief.

"Ms. Bennet, do not shy away, I know that women like you enjoy playing with a man's heart for sometime. After the trifling, when you are satisfied, you may accept it."

"I am not a silly girl who trifles with a man's emotions, be assured of that, Mr. Collins. I also know your intentions for a proposal. Lady Catherine wants you to settle down to a girl of her taste which, be assured, I am not. Your esteemed patroness and I had known eachother long time ago and our minds do not settle for the same. I warn you, if you marry me, your patroness would never be happy about the decision, so nor would you. Nevertheless, I do not want an unhappy marriage and thus, I refuse."

Both the men were speechless, no wonder why she had been single so long after being extremely beautiful. Her power of persuasion to drive people away from choosing her made her more desirable to Darcy. He smiled lightly and even almost chuckled.

"Then I may not make such a decision," said Mr. Collins, "nevertheless, may I be so bold to ask you that what type of woman may be desirable?"

"A woman you admire and not blindly choose because of Lady de Bourgh. I want you to make your own decisions."

"I may think about it," he bowed and Adele excused herself for being alone for sometimes.

Darcy followed her secretly as she went near the lake and sat on a rock. She sighed and picked up a pebble, throwing it into the water. She looked so serene and beautiful. He looked at the flower in his hand and hid it behind his back.

He walked to her and cleared his throat to catch her attention. She turned to him, startled, nevertheless, gave him a small smile.

He sat beside her, keeping a little distance, "I heard Mr. Collins."

"I noticed," she whispered looking forward while Darcy looked at her. She paused, "I do not want to marry, Fitzy."

He looked astonished at the confession and was utterly disappointed. "Why, Ady?"

He gripped the flower in his hand tightly and looked at her for explanation.

"I do not know the answer to the question you asked. I just could not see myself married after what happened in the past."

"What happened in the past?" His curiosity overcame his control.

"That is the tale for another time," she smiled lightly and sighed. Darcy got intrigued by the mystery, nevertheless, asked nothing at all. "I wish I got no proposals now."

Darcy chuckled, "As much as I know, proposals boosts a woman's confidence. In addition, you are the only woman I know who despise them, even when you get the most."

"My confidence does not need a boost with such silly things," she smiled and then had a thoughtful look, "I wonder, Mr Darcy, what could have brought you here now?"

His breath hitched, nonetheless, he did not answer. He gripped the flower even tightly in nervousness while pondering over the excuses he could make, for he would never do anything she despised.

"Why, my dear, cannot a friend come to see you?"

"I think not that is the reason for your arrival," she slyly looked at him and he could feel a cold sweat slip from his forehead.

"I wonder what you think I am here for."

"Maybe you are here to propose me," she jested and he almost gasped. Nevertheless, his eyes did widen.

"I- I do not know what gave you such an idea," he chuckled nervously and stood up, "now, I just depart. Good day."

He scurried out of the woods and to his horse. He left, all the same, he did not see that she saw the flower in his hand with a shocked and hurt expression.
___________