Chapter 10: Mr. Wickham

"I do not like that cousin of yours, father," Adele said one day when they were alone in the library, "he is a most absurd man that I have ever met and I have met a handful, I can assure you."

"You are right, my dear," he contemplated, "I am beginning to realise how mistaken I was to invite him in the house."

"Maybe you should have asked for my help. I know Lady Catherine enough to see that she is the most self important person, who can only recruit people who do not have any brain of themselves and are always boasting about her and her fictional kindness."

"You know enough."

"I am a studier of character," she simply replied, "though, as for the man in our house, a bind man can see what he is."

"True, true," the father exclaimed and laughed loudly.

"But, sir, I am doubtful about his purpose to come here."

"So am I, my darling, so am I."

"Keep Lizzie to the library, I am confident that mother would never recommend Jane while she had planned her wedding with Mr Bingley. The other three are too... different for his liking. I can keep him busy."

"Yes ma'am, but what about you, my sweet."

"I'll be the bait while I play matchmaker for him with a certain damsel I know."

"You are quite determined, aren't you?"

"Anything for my sisters."
______________________

From then, Adele used to vex that man in her own way. She would read her own book while he read aloud the surmons and sarcastically remark on his statements or action.

Mrs Bennet was not happy while the same couldn't be said for others. While the Bennet sisters and father used to openly remark her, Jane would just feel pity on the parson but never condemned the action.

Mr Collins, however, was more charmed than annoyed by the beauty of the woman who challenged him. Yet, he did not appreciate the sarcasm thrown at him, but thought that matrimony can make Adele a soft and polite woman, who would follow his command and look up to Lady De Bourgh. He also did not like her helping her father in things that were for the mind of her opposite sex.

The next morning, however, made an alteration; for in a quarter of an hour's tête-a-tête with Mrs. Bennet before breakfast, a conversation beginning with his parsonage-house, and leading naturally to the avowal of his hopes, that a mistress for it might be found at Longbourn, produced from her, very complaisant smiles and general encouragements. Though, Jane couldn't be chosen for she was soon to be engaged.

Though, he did not mind, for Jane may be a beautiful woman, Adele more of a goddess in disguise with her pleasing yet unusual violet blue eyes with blue flecks and the palest of skin, but natural rosy cheeks and full lips.

Mrs Bennet was in nine clouds, for the daughter, she thought would be a spinster, was to have a suitor. Though, she was worried that Adele would not think twice before rejecting the offer and the chance to be the mistress of Longbourn. Mrs. Bennet treasured up the hint, and trusted that she might soon have two daughters married; and the man whom she could not bear to speak of the day before, was now high in her good graces.

Lydia's intention of walking to Meryton was not forgot ten; every sister, even Mary, agreed to go with her; and Mr. Collins was to attend them, at the request of Mr. Bennet, who was most anxious to get rid of him, and have his library to himself; for thither Mr. Collins had followed him after breakfast, and there he would continue, nominally engaged with one of the largest folios in the collection, but really talking to Mr. Bennet, with little cessation, of his house and garden at Hunsford.