37 - I'm on my way

November 12th, 1977, Heathrow Airport.

"Weren't we just going to the end of the month?"  I was sitting with my arms crossed in front of the departure gate.  "And as far as I can remember our destination was New York and not Boston!"

Robert was running ahead of us in circles, apparently just me Ronnie and Robert would go.

"Freddie asked me to make sure you spend your twenty-third birthday with him, this is what I'm doing."  She spoke with one hand resting on her belly.

Well, at least I had already got rid of the splint on my foot, but it doesn't hurt that the rib still caused me, and it obviously couldn't compare to the worst pain I felt.

"Dragging me to Massachusetts!"

"I'm just taking you, I'll be back with Rob after your birthday-"

"What do you mean? Are you going to leave me with them?"  I asked with wide eyes.

"You work with them Julie, and John thinks it will be good for you to know how to be distracted."

I closed my eyes and took one of my hands to my temple and massaged - I was needing another dose of the pain medication but I couldn't take it in front of Veronica.

"This funny, when I wanted to work, Freddie put that asshole Prenter in my place."  I practically spit out the words and Ronnie was left without a reaction.

There were days when I didn't recognize myself.

"I'm sorry, Ronnie."  I sighed and took her hand and patted it.

She was pregnant, had Robert to take care of and yet she cared and took care of me every day.  I was a real nuisance.

"It's okay Julie, I just want you to be okay. And Freddie didn't mean it."  Her voice was always calm and her eyes always conveyed peace.

I couldn't get well, feel good, I didn't understand how they still cared about me.

"Also, it will be good, you working again, traveling with Fred, you will feel better."

"Thank you for helping me through this."  I spoke with my head down.

I was never able to thank Veronica and John for everything they did for me.

"You know you don't have to thank us, we do it because we love you."  I looked at her and smiled.

If I opened my mouth to say anything at that moment, I would probably burst into tears.  And she was right, it would be good for me and Freddie.  I needed to deconstruct the wall I made around me, he didn't deserve me to push him away, I needed him to rebuild me just as he needed me too.  And there was only one way out of that situation, hand in hand with him.

"I'm going to stop taking Freddie away from me."

Veronica smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile.

"Finally, I was already getting worried."  She spoke laughing with relief.  "This tour is going to be great for you two, enjoy it."  She shook my hand and Robert approached us with those docile little eyes.

"Mummy."  He spoke clearing his throat.

"Say it, Rob."  She smiled at him.

"I need to eat a fucking cheese toast."  He spoke smiling and I had to suppress my laughter.

This was too much Freddie.

JOHN

Boston, Massachusetts - USA.