27 - As a Bandage

FREDDIE

Kensington, July 25, 1977.

"Do you blindly trust her?"  His hand was on my shoulder, his eyes were reddened, the whiskey glass in his hand in half.

The image of my Julia laughing next to another man invaded my head.

"She's not like that."  I said feeling numbness being replaced by euphoria.  "She's different."

He rolled his eyes and downed his cigarette and offered it to me, but I refused.

"You need to know her better, you have so little time together, how can you trust her so easily?"

That was like a punch to my stomach.

"Don't say what you don't know."  I shook my hands nervously.

He set the glass of the bar on the counter and put his hand to my face.

"Things are never as we think."

"mo grhàid?"  Julia's sweet voice took me out of my thoughts as we were in a store trying to decide a gift for Roger, she was divinely perfect as always.  I looked up to find her wearing a pair of star-shaped glasses and it was enough to make me smile.

"Love, you look beautiful, but are you thinking of giving this to Roger?"  I asked holding her delicate hand between my hands that covered her completely.

She lifted her glasses and pouted me and shook her head no.

"Of course not these are mine."  She spoke proudly making me laugh.  "What's funny?"  She tiptoed to face me better.

"You became a consumerist."  I smiled at her, remembering the time we went to Dior for that damn ball.

"Of course not!"  She exclaimed her long eyelashes flashing several times which made her even cuter.

"So what is this denim jacket I've never seen on you?"  I asked raising my eyebrow and Julia snorted making me laugh even more, it was so fun to piss her.

"I was just trying on the jacket."  She said would be crossing her arms, so bloody beautiful.

"And the glasses?"  I asked, bringing my fingers to her chin and looking up at me.

"These are mine I already said."  She still spoke with a pout and I smiled at her.

How could I doubt her love?

The edelweiss pendant hung even brighter around her neck.

"Of course they are and the jacket too, kitten."  She frowned.  "I'm giving it to you-"

"No! You are not!"  She protested and I rolled my eyes.

"Yes I am."

She closed her eyes which made her look even funnier, but I held back my laughter.

"Let's not be so hard on me, little kitten."  I said touching her cheek.

"You give me so many things, Fred! I need to use the money I earn for something!"  She said it would be.

"Then I pay for Roger's gift."  I said taking my hands to the sides of her face and forming a pout that I kissed, she rolled her eyes making me laugh.

She was like that, independent and wonderfully determined.

My little scottish kitten.

Memories of the day she showed up with this Dickhead still pestered me, especially when Paul was around and I remembered the time we went out together and all that weird talk with him.  This was so disconcerting .... my Julia was none of that.