A Vow

Chapter 9
~**~

It was now Rui's time to fight. He warmed up a bit and got into his fighting stance.

"You know, you've really outdone yourself. You're like a cockroach who doesn't give up." Shinkai stated.

"I could say the same to you."

Shinakai gritted his teeth.

"I'm done underestimating you. I'm going to go all out and show you the true terror of a water magic user." Shinkai got into a fighting stance aswell.

"Looks like you're serious. I'll make sure to go all out as well."

The fight began with the two bolting at eachother. The both went to hand to hand combat and were clashing fists.

It was fairly even as they were countering eachothers blows and exchanging hits. Rui was getting hit more though, Shinkai had the slight advantage.

Rui got a clean hit on Shinkai and made him stumble back. He tried to follow up with another attack but Shinkai kicked him back.

"Water Art: Water Bullet!" The attacks were as fast as Amber's needles but Rui barely dodged them.

"I forgot how agile you were." Shinkai stated.

"Yea I can also do this. Fire Art: Burning Volley!" The attack was also as fast as Amber's needles and Shinkai put up his water barrier.

Rui charged at Shinkai's barrier, trying to destroy it but was a bit too slow. Shinkai already had his next plan of action.

"Water Art: H20 Doppelganger!"

"A new skill?" Rui wondered.

Suddenly a water clone of Shinkai emerged from the ground and attacked Rui. He was caught off guard so the attack got him.

"Water Art: H20 Doppelganger x10" Ten more water clones emerged.

"This must consume a lot of energy huh, Shinkai." Rui prepared himself.

"I said I wasn't going easy on you."

The 11 clones attacked Rui. It was a fierce battle, Rui could barely hold his ground. With enough force he was able to destroy one clone,he was slowly getting the hang of it.

He eventually destroyed the 10 clones but unfortunately it took a lot out of him. His stamina was running low.

"The way you fight... is so boring." Rui said as he tried to catch his breath.

"Its quite effective though. Now take another, Water Art: H20 Doppelganger x50." Fifty water clones emerged.

"Oh come on!" Rui narrowed his eyes.

They all came running at Rui. Rui had no choice but the destroy them all at once.

"Fire Art: SuperNova!" The giant fireball cleared through all the water clones.

Rui barely had any energy left, he had to end this fast if he wanted to win. He poured almost everything into this attack.

"Fire Art: Blazing Shotgun!" The attack was able to hit Shinkai.

As Shinkai got hit by the attack he was able to close in on Rui. Rui didnt remember Shinkai being able to take damage like that.

He has definitely been training.

Shinkai grabbed Rui's wrist and used one of his strongest skills.

"Water Art: Buble Prison!"

"How much energy do you-"

Rui was engulfed in a water bubble and couldn't get out. The more he struggled, the harder it was for him to breath.

"My theory was right. Your fire only gets hotter if it's from physical contact. I covered my fists in water bubbles so it would atleast slow down how hot your fire got. Then I attacked you with water clones. All you're doing is boiling the water prison, but not completely evaporating it like last time. I've succeeded, I win." Shinkai boasted and snickered.

"Damnit. I'm the one... who underestimated Shinkai this time. I didnt think he would get this strong, especially after I beated him. I thought he would give up, I had him all wrong. Hes cocky sure, but when he's actually fighting for real, hes smart." Rui thought as he slowly started to drown. "These simple mistakes led me to my downfall. How am I suppose to face my friends after such a humiliating lose. Damnit I'm pathetic, I'm not better than all the high tiers that look down on fire users."

"THE FIGHTS OVER! THE WINNER IS-"

Kairo stopped the teacher before he could finish.

"Give Rui a chance." Kairo said.

"H-Hes going to drown if this continues." Mr Shiro looked at Kairo with an uncertain look.

"Trust me... with that crazy determination of his, he always has an ace up his sleeve."

The teacher was hesitant but after watching Rui grow in these months he was having a little faith. He decided to let the match continue for a minute longer.

"I have to improve and adapt right now or else it's over. I'll combine Ri and my skill that heats up my body. I only have one try though so I have to stay calm. Theres no time to lose, my conciouness is slipping. Here goes nothing!"

Rui squeezed everything he had into this one strategy. The water bubble really started to boil to the point where it was slowly evaporating.

"H-Hes evaporating the water bubble. But how?!" Shinkai said shocked.

"IMPROVISED FIRE ART: MELTING POINT!"

He broke free from the water prison and the area was filled with steam. He cough out all the water he choked on and took breaths of fresh air. Shinkai couldnt believe it.

Rui was on his hands and knees so out of breath.

Before he could recover Shinkai tried to finish him off. He was standing over Rui as he was about to end it with a water slash. Before he could though, Rui sprung up towards Shinkai.

"FIRE ART: NOVA PUANCH!"

It was a direct hit as Rui dragged Shinkai's face down to the ground. The ground cracked as Shinkai's face hit the floor.

Rui rolled off Shinkai and sat up as he was completely out of energy. He was huffing and puffing as if he just ran a marathon.

"I... did it. You really showed me... how strong you really were. Im sorry I'm the one who underestimated you. I vow... to get stronger after this. I'm not going to underestimate anybody, no matter how many times I beat them. I'm going to keep improving... to protect the people I care for and that no one ends up like my sister." Rui struggled to get to his feet.

He gave a thumbs up to his 3 friends that were watching him.

"I'm going to become number 1... that's the promise I'm going to keep to myself." Rui said to himself.

Though something was off, the teacher didnt say Rui was the winner. Rui was still out of breath and it took so much out of him just to move a muscle. He looked at the ground to see if Shinkai was still unconscious.

The body was gone...

It was a water clone.