Prologue

The sky dragon wiped off the stream of sweat that rolled down his rusty red head. He beated his blood red wings, flapping wildly, ignoring the pain of his amber spikes. I must hurry before the general realizes I'm gone... He thought, although he was quite a fast flier, according to him.

After rocky mountains and tense forests in shades of dark green, the SkyWing made it to the abundance of sand. He scanned the area in case any of Blister's or Blaze's army pasted by and noticed the rusty dragon in the sky.

She said she had moved to to oasis farthest from the Scorpion Den... Now which one is it? Ibis thought to himself, remebering the exact words of the SandWing. Looking in all directions miserably, Ibis gave up. She said she would be waiting for him outside. It was a great idea, they had thought. It would work out, they had thought. Now to think of it, SandWings did truly live up to their name.

Argh, why couldn't we just meet up in the Sky Kingdom like we had always before? Ibis thought bitterly.

"Father!"

In surprise, Ibis turned around in the air. He was glad to see his odd son, but what was he doing here in the open? "Sunset! Can't you see that other dragons can see you out here?" Ibis snapped at the dragonet.

The dragonet's mout quivered. "I- I- I just wanted to show you that I can fly now... I'm sorry father..." Sunset whispered, making his eyes wide and sorry. Ibis sighed, letting a small smile. His son was a natural flier.

"Where's your mother, eh?" Ibis muttered. Guilt overwhelmed the SkyWing, but Ibis had a hard time showing his true emotion. Sunset stayed quiet. Ibis thought of something. "Lets go home and play a game! You fly off quickly, and I'll chase you, okay?"

Sunset's face lit up. "A game? Okay! You'll never catch me!" The SandWing-SkyWing Hybrid flew off, flapping his ombre wings that went from a sunny yellow to a crimson red. Ibis admired them for a bit before dashing after his son, in a much slower pace as he usually flew.

Sunset landed on the sand with a thump. Ibis gasped, worry filled his heart. But the dragonet poked out his head from the sand, laughing. "You didn't catch me!" He chirped, then shook off the rest of the sand. Ibis let a small smile crack on his face.

"Hey Rusty. I thought Sunset wouldn't be able to find you," The pale SandWing stepped out from a hut, her voice was like music to Ibis' ears.

Ibis curled his tail around hers carefully around the barb tip. "Don't call me Rusty," Ibis growled softly, "My scales only look like that because of war!" It was true, before the war Ibis was a deep scarlet red, and his horns were a glossy attractive copper. Now, after many battles against SeaWings and IceWing, he was a boring rusty color. Although he had met Pegasus this way, and she always teased him.

"I'm glad you came. Sunset was missing you, and he's been home alone lately," Pegasus whispered softly, staring at their particular dragonet, who played by himself with the grains of sand that got on him. Pegasus was a pale SandWing, almost white, with noticeable yellow freckles that covered up her back from head to tail. Across her shoulder rested a long painful-looking scar.

"You've gone to Burn's Stronghold?" Ibis grouched, "You see! You should have stayed in Possibility!" He was upset how he couldn't get off his duties and see Pegasus. They both tried escaping to Possibility, but it wasn't long until the SkyWings found him. Him but not Pegasus and the egg.

Pegasus looked down. "I know. But my brother is severely injured and they still want him fighting. I need to cover up for him," She said sadly.

Ibis sighed, putting one of his giant wings on Pegasus. "It's alright. Good thing you told Topaz or I would have been at Possibility looking for both of you," He mumbled. Pegasus let a smile, but it was obvious she was distressed.

Pegasus sighed. "Topaz wasn't too pleasant about it. She began yelling at me for not being 'responsible" and all of that," she admitted.

Ibis narrowed his eyes. "Don't worry about it. I'll take care of her," He promised.

Sunset waddled to his parents. "Mother! Father! I caught my first prey!" He chirped, holding up a small tan snake for them to see. Pegasus smiled at Sunset with pride, opening her arms for the dragonet to hug her.

Ibis frowned. "Don't be catching any weird creatures you find! That's a snake and its dangerous! It could have been a dragonite viper! It could have killed you!" Ibis scowled at the dragonet. Pegasus was also surpised.

Sunset looked down. "I'm sorry father I won't do it next time..." He whispered. Ibis let out a small sigh. He perphaps was a bit overprotective of his small one-year-old son.

"I guess I better leave now. The general won't be happy if he sees me gone again," Ibis grumbled, departing from his family.

Sunset's ears flicked up. "No! Father! Don't leave me again! Don't go! Please stay! I promise I'll be on my best behavior!" The dragonet cried, seizing Ibis' left front arm with extreme force. This hurt Ibis so much.

"I'm sorry. I must go," Ibis cracked sadly, the SkyWing could see tears stream down Sunset's face. Pegasus looked down, probably heart broken as well.

Pegasus got up and put a wing over Sunset. "If you want, we can go take your father to the edge of the desert, where he would go to the sky kingdom. How'd that sound?" She said softly.

Sunset's eyes beamed only a little. "Okay..." he said quietly, looking at Ibis with big cute eyes. Ibis' heart couldn't ignore it.

Ibis spread his wings, allowing Sunset to climb over him, giving his son a ride.

I'm sorry, Sunset. One day, if the war ever ends, we will be together in harmony... You wouldn't be left behind... I promise.