prologue

♬♩♪♩♬♩♪♩

it was the first day of school, however the fact that you were literally a senior now had not quite registered in your brain. you and your friends had made a commitment to each other that this year, you would not hold back and would be your true authentic selves.

-

"that way we'll have no regrets after high school," doyoung said.

"i feel like you should kick this off, y/n." yujin smirked at you.

"what?" you asked, nervous because you already knew what they were going to tell you.

"join the singing class," doyoung said.

"are you guys serious? that class is a joke. everyone just joins because jaehyun takes it." you rolled your eyes at your friends. you had been singing for as long as you could remember, however your stage fright always seemed to overpower your ability to open up about your talent. barely anyone at school knew you could sing or even had any interest in it at all.

"true, but that doesn't mean you can't get anything out of it. maybe the teacher can help you improve!" yujin said excitedly. you furrowed your brow, still unsure.

"don't you want to be a singer y/n?" doyoung raised his eyebrow at you.

you huffed. "fine!"

"yes! be your true self!" yujin clapped happily.

-

thinking back on it, doyoung and yujin were just being supportive. you should be thankful! but instead you found yourself dreading the class, which was upsettingly the first class on your schedule. maybe the stomach churning thought of singing in front of other people was what was throwing you off. but jaehyun was in that class, so no one would be focused anyways.

you made your way through the halls. you knew where the music room was because you had gone in previous years after school when no one was around. you secretly loved that room. it was big and soundproof so you could practice your singing without anyone hearing. since barely anyone in singing class actually sang and were just there for jaehyun, it was often empty.

jung jaehyun. he was the most popular boy in school among boys and girls. he was tall, hot, the captain of the varsity basketball team, and a singer. he got along with everyone, and all the boys basically wanted to be him. the girls were obsessed with him and often confessed their love to him, but he never accepted. that was a little weird to you. he could have any girl in the entire school and yet he was single. you were a little grateful, however, because jaehyun having a girlfriend would cause much unrest between the girls at school. you had to admit though, jaehyun's voice was enough to make anyone melt. you'd heard him sing at school festivals many times and his deep, smooth voice was definitely an experience. however, you weren't really focused on having crushes at the moment. you just wanted to be a singer and that was it.

you opened the door to the music room and smiled a little at the familiar scent of the big space. you were a little bit early, but a lot of girls and a few boys were already there. there was a new teacher that you'd never seen before. she was fairly young and sat behind her desk, typing on her computer. the boys chatted amongst themselves in small groups, but most of the girls were all in one big group. you heard the name jaehyun being thrown around in there and you rolled your eyes. school hadn't even started yet and people were already talking about him.

you dropped down into a random seat and put your bag down next to it, leaning your head on your hands. you couldn't help but listen to the conversation the girls were having.

"i heard from johnny that jaehyun has a new hair color," one girl said.

"what is it?" another asked.

"like ash gray, i think?" the girl covered her mouth giddily as she imagined jaehyun with the hair color.

"you're kidding! i remember jaehyun said once that ash colors look good on him," said yet another girl, and they all agreed with her excitedly.

"it's weird that you know that," you muttered under your breath, but you did vaguely remember him saying something like that. or maybe having heard that he said it from someone else.

finally the anticipated boy entered the room. he did have ash gray hair, but it had blue undertones to it. it fell into his eyes a little bit, and it was slightly longer on the top than on the sides. his deep brown eyes wandered around the room searching for an empty seat. you noticed your heart flutter a little, but you allowed it. you hadn't seen jaehyun in months and he was just really hot. everyone could agree with that.

he sat down after saying hi to some of his friends and waving at the pack of girls that all seemed to be blushing. he put his bag down and after a few minutes, class began.

♬♩♪♩♬♩♪♩