24

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd stared at herself in the mirror as she stood in an emerald green dress, the fabric hugging her curves just right as her hair fell down her back; gold pins keeping it out of her face. Her makeup matched the gown, the dark emerald eyeshadow complimented with thick black eyeliner with a thin, white line separating the two colours; a dark red dot under each eye to match the colour of her lips. A black stripe lay upon the lower bridge of her nose, including her black tattoos into the outfit as the lines danced up her collar bones as they had for years. 

'My children, calm yourselves. Calm,' Russell's voice sounded outside; 'There is no eclipse. The namings will go on as planned. All of your Gods will return tonight. And I have more good news. The demon Gabriel has been captured. Tonight, we will vanquish his evil once and for all, and usher in a new era of wonder for the glory and grace of Sanctum.'

Murphy wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, kissing the side of her head. 

'You look beautiful,' He spoke lowly in her ear. 

His suit matched her outfit, a dark green and gold cape hung from the shoulders of his black suit. She didn't smile at his compliment, instead continued to study them in the mirror. He didn't sigh, or try to make her speak, instead he pulled a gold coated flower from behind his back and held it in front of her. She took it gently from his fingers, running her fingertips along the delicate petals as she looked down at it. 

A knock sounded at the door, 'Russell Prime, Hallowed be his name, has asked for all Primes to the dining room.'

Byrd placed the flower down and turned to face Murphy, letting him take her hand as she wobbled slightly in her heels. He chuckled softly, kissing the ring on her left hand as he held her eye for a second. They sparkled and faded, falling back to their dull state as he lead her from the room. The sound of her heels clicking on the floor was all that was heard between them as they made their way to the dining room, Murphy looking at her with complete awe and admiration at the beauty next to him. She looked gorgeous. 

He kissed the back of her hand as they entered the dining room, guards following after them. They stopped when their gazes came to land on a man tied into a chair, his eyes already on them; calculating their every move. A sort of familiar look crossed his face as he seemed to recognise who Byrd was from the vivid description Octavia had given him, a ghost of a smile flittering over his lips. And he assumed the boy beside her was John Murphy, the image of him coming to the front of his mind. 

'Daniel, Kaylee, meet your new old friends,' Russell motioned to the group standing behind him; 'This is Caleb and Jasmine, and this is Miranda.'

'They're brother and sister. You know that, right?' The restrained man suggested. 

'Good thing my name isn't Kaylee, isn't it?' Byrd spoke lowly as Murphy tried to let go of her hand. 

'Tell me. Did you even hesitate to betray your friends?'