17

/\/\/

/\/\/

The entire village was bustling with excitement over Naming Day, but Byrd couldn't care less. She'd had the choice to guard the ship with Emori and Murphy, or to stick around the overjoyed bar filled with people. And so, she chose to help train Madi, unable to stick around the village as her mind taunted her with her potential kills around her; a slashed throat, a stab to the heart, decapitation. 

'Get up, Heda,' She circled the girl. 

Madi glared up at her, pushing herself off the ground before she went to attack her. Byrd blocked it with ease, jumping back from the next attack.

'You're showing me your next shot before you take it, Madi, focus,' She instructed.

She stopped the girl's fist again, before almost missing the leg she kicked out to knock her to the ground. 

'Better,' She encouraged as she avoided her foot. 

Byrd threw her fist, Madi only just able to duck under it before it hit her in the nose before she kicked Byrd in the stomach. She smirked as she nodded her head, continuing to fight the girl; instructing her as they went. And when she let her knock her to the ground, straddling her with a knife to her neck, she chuckled. 

'I thought you said no weapons?' She cocked a brow. 

'You always said never go into a fight without one handy,' Madi retorted. 

'Finally, she remembers something.'

Madi let her up from the ground, offering her a hand to pull her up. Byrd winced at the pain in her back, waving the girl off as she held her shoulder. 

'Madi,' Gaia called from the doorway.

'That'll do today, Little Warrior. Good job,' She nodded. 

'Thank you,' Madi smiled.

She reached back when the pair were gone, hissing as she hit the wound with her fingertips; pulling them back to find they were painted black. She sighed, glad for the black shirt she wore. She hooked her jacket over her arm, heading through the ship looking for Niylah.

'Hey,' The grounder smiled. 

'Hey,' She replied; 'You mind fixing me up?'

'Sure.'

She sat down straddling a chair, leaving Niylah to work as she stared at the wall ahead of her. 

'You've popped the stitches again,' Niylah sighed. 

'Well, don't sew it back up,' She shrugged. 

'It needs to be, Byrd.'

'Niylah, you should know by now that I can and will survive anything, especially a little old cut.'