Prologue

/\/\/

/\/\/

THE DARK YEAR

Byrd stood beside Octavia in the throne room, her arms crossed over her chest as she looked at the people in the room. She listened to Cooper's hurried words as she spat information out at them, Octavia growing restless beside her. 

'You said we had five years,' She suggested; 'We've only been down here for two.'

'I've done everything I could think of, short of eradicating the infected plants,' Cooper shook her head; 'For now, the fungus is contained to the soybean crop, but it won't be for long. I've salvaged a few of the healthy plants to use for seeds-'

Indra stepped forward, 'How long?'

'One year... Less with some luck.'

'One year. Without a protein source,' Kane shook his head. 

'We all know what the answer is,' Abby spoke up from the corner.

'Abby-'

'If we don't get at least ten percent of our calories from protein, over that amount of time, we'll starve to death. I'm sorry, Marcus, but that's a fact. There is only one potential source.'

'The fighting pits,' Indra stated. 

'Human flesh, joyous,' Byrd muttered.

'Will it be enough? To last a year?' Octavia asked. 

'It should be once the crime rate starts to rise,' Abby nodded; 'And it will.'

'Are we seriously talking about this?' Kane asked.

'What else are we supposed to do?' Octavia queried; 'Kane. Give us another solution.'

'There is no other solution,' Abby concluded.

Octavia looked to the woman before she looked away, Byrd reaching over to squeeze her hand in reassurance. 

'How do we do it? How do we convince them to eat?' She asked.

'We try and convince them and hope it works,' Abby sighed. 

'You're confidence sucks.'

/\/\/

Byrd stared down at the tray before her, eyes set on the cube of red in front of her. She could feel the bile running down the back of her throat, Octavia sitting at the centre of the table to her left doing the same thing. 

'They need to see us do this,' Abby whispered. 

Octavia rose from her seat with the cube in her fingertips, 'We all know the situation... What we do here now, we do to survive. Some of you think it's a sin. But the sin would be letting ourselves starve to death when we know we're all that's left of the human race.'