27

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd walked with Clarke and Indra as they entered Russell's lock up, the girl being asked to come along as damage control; in the act of Kayley Prime. But, she'd merely agreed to come along out of suspicion of the man's sudden mind change for death. She stepped into the shadow of the cell, the doors shutting behind them. Russell's gaze lifting to the trio as he lifted himself from the table, eyes moving between them; pausing a second longer on the Delani child. 

'To what do I owe the pleasure?' He drawled. 

'Don't play innocent,' Clarke spat; 'We know your people have been in to see you.' 

'I can hardly turn them away if they show up.'

'It won't be a problem for much longer. Your execution's at sunset,' Indra stepped forward; 'We'll give you the respect of choosing how you die.' 

'You should have just finished the job last night.' 

'We can make it quick,' Byrd smirked; 'Or incredibly slow.'

'And why would I want that? To my followers, this will be the death of a god.'

Suddenly the lights around them flickered before dying out, Russell's eyes closing as he smiled slightly. 

'Like a sign from above. I'll take the pyre,' He informed them.

'Last night, you begged me to save you from the flames,' Clarke sneered.

'And now you want it quick so you can pretend you're still civilized. No. My people need to feel my death, and so do you.' 

'Very well. Fire it is,' Indra confirmed.

The woman turned away, nodding to Byrd who moved with her as Clarke hesitated behind them. They entered the courtyard filled with yelling, Byrd's eyes flicking over the angry faces surrounding them as they called for the death to the Primes. She glanced to Clarke as she came to stand with them, meeting her blue eyes for a second before she walked away; shoving her way through the crowd. 

She waved off the guards that followed her, entering what was left of the burnt castle; the smell of ashes thick in the air. The shouts echoed up from down below, pushing through the walls and ceilings. Byrd shoved open the door to her and Murphy's room to find the man still lazing in bed, his eyes following her the second she entered the room and approached the window; looking down below. 

'They're burning Russell at the stake tonight,' She informed him. 

Murphy sat up against the pillows, 'And I wonder who's next.' 

'They won't kill us, idiot. They need us.' 

'Come back to bed.' 

She turned to him with a cocked brow, 'I hate sleeping here.'