Buchanan gave them portable radios with accompanying headsets.

"Clip those radios on your belt and wear the headsets. We need a line of communication."

"Thanks" both the girls.

"Good luck." Buchanan remarked, then walking to the pit area.

Aurora and Riley got comfortable in their seats as they waited for the go-ahead.

"Check. You read me Riley?"

"Loud and clear."

"Great. Way better than yelling."

Aurora from her pocket got out the race rules and reviewed them.

"The only thing we can't do is shoot at each other. But if people are smart, they shouldn't have any ammo in the first place. Other than that though we're free to do what we want. Perhaps even...ram...or pit someone.

"Sounds like a great way for us to get taken out of the race. Too much risk." Riley countered.

"Maybe. Maybe. Let's just see how things play out. Never know what could happen in the heat of the moment."

Aurora looked around the area. The other vehicles were idling their engines waiting for the call. A PA system clicked on.

"Racers. Proceed to the starting line. Race begins in ten minutes."

All the armored cars in the area drove on. They formed a line as they emerged from the underground garage and onto the track. Once the crowd caught sight of them, their excitement grew. At a steady speed, they all formed up at the starting line. Overhead, an official held the checkered flag. Waiting for the moment to wave it. In the pit area, the Mojave rose team was ready. Spare tires and extra fuel were prepared and some members were playing with the impact wrenches to get a feel for them. On an elevated chair was Valarie, binoculars trained at the starting line.

"Guess you can add crew chief to your resume, eh Val?" Buchanan remarked.

"Yeah, I'm just racking them up." Valarie responded with a laugh.

The racers were ready. The pit crews were ready. All that everyone could do now was wait. Among the crowd, a number of schools were watching. Up high in the stands, two girls dressed in identical uniforms were in the middle of a conversation. One of the pointed down toward the starting line.

"There they are. There's Mojave Rose's Puma." Penelope announced.

"A Puma? They are speedy scout cars." Caroline said.

"Yes, but so are the other vehicles. It will be close. Still. I wish them luck."

"Why?"

"As I've told you, they are nice people. Also...I think the two girls I met are more than friends and that's really cute honesty."

They looked down at the track for a few moments.

"But of course..." Penelope continued.

"Should we ever go against them. The pleasantries will stop."

At another area of the stands, a group of girls were sitting in relaxed states, waiting for the race to begin. One of them had a pair of binoculars and was leisurely peering through them. When she turned her gaze down at the pit area, she no longer felt relaxed.

"Hey! That guy is down at the pits!" she yelled

"What?" said another.

"He's down there. Along with that girl from yesterday."