Chapter 19

~Gabriel's POV~

I had listened to Cal and I tried wowing Amber.

I brought her flowers but she didn't seem too interested in them, then I turned it up a notch and took her on dates. We went hiking, swimming and on a picnic. I made sure the places were secluded to avoid a chance encounter from one of her previous lives and I believed it was working.

She smiled when she looked at me and she said my name with more warmth. We were making headway. I never taught 2 weeks would make such a difference. Cal also showed great signs of improvement and if he could shift I felt confident that he could survive the shift.

I was by the lake watching Cal swim his third lap when the scent of something strong but powerful entered my nose. I turned to look behind me as my hackles rose and narrowed my eyes as I didn't see anything.

"Cal, come here." I stood slowly and looked around growling lowly.

"An Alpha hm?" A smooth deep voice called out and I glanced to the left and saw the man. Tall, blonde and deep blue eyes. Tanned skin and full lips but something about him made me wary.

"You're still around." Nevin stepped out from behind him and my eyes widened. This had to be his father. Same set of the jaw, same eyes, God damn even the same hair colour.

"Hey Nevin." The man eyed Cal as he came out of the lake and walked over towards me.

"Cal, so nice to see you. Where's mom?"

"She went out to see Mel. She should be back soon." Nevin smiled.

"How lovely." The man narrowed his eyes.

"You know this human and wolf?" He pursed his lips.

"Cal's mom's adopted son and Gabriel is the Alpha of the pack near-by."

"Then why is he here?" The man growled and I stared at him.

"Gabriel's helping me prepare my body for a shift." Cal answered confused. I was confused to. Was this man Nevin's father? If he was then Vern was very wrong and the man apparently came back to get Amber.

“Can I ask who you are?” He twisted his lips in disgust as he looked at me.

“No you may not.” He snapped. “How your mother stays in the company of such beast is beyond me.” I growled but Nevin simply rolled his eyes.

“He doesn’t mean werewolves, he means mortals.” The man huffed and lifted his nose into the air and I stared in shock at the action. “Gabriel, Cal this is my father. Dad, this is my adopted brother and mom’s friend.” He made a point to emphasise our relationship and I watched as his father stared at me before looking at Cal.

“You, a human, wish to shift?” I put a hand out to stop Cal from stepping forward. “Relax wolf, I will not harm him.” I did not relax.

“Since mom adopted us, she told us we could either live out the rest of our lives or we could join hers and after what she did for us I wanted to join her.” He stared at Cal for a while before turning to Nevin.

“You said things have been tranquil.” He was calm, like the calm before the storm and it unsettled me.

“They have been.” Nevin shrugged and folded his arms and the man turned to look at Cal.

“What exactly did she do?”

“Why do you want to know?” He turned to look at me, narrowed his eyes before glancing at the sky.

“The affairs of my wife are my concern, she has a habit of getting into trouble.” My eyes widened.

“Wife?” I dropped my hand. “How long have you two been married?”

“Some 70 years.” I stumbled back and Cal braced his hands against me.

“She’s my mate, yet…” I trialed off and his eyes bored into me.

“She may be your mate but you are not her mate.” I blinked.

“What?” His eyes actually softened as he looked at me and his face showed mild pity.

“Amber’s soul is bound to mine till the end of our days.”