Chapter 20

When I got home I did not expect to see Cal and Gabriel sitting in the living room along with Nevin and his father. I stared at him for a long time before I went to hug Nevin.

"As always, you have kept privy information to yourself." I looked at him and took a deep breath.

"What are you doing here?" I asked instead.

"I came to see you." His voice softened and I looked away.

"That isn't allowed." I hissed and he rolled his eyes.

"And neither is you having a mate. You sacrificed that when you bound your soul to mine." I glared at him.

"I sacrificed a lot of things for you but what did you sacrifice for me?" I was hot, my skin actually felt as though it was melting and it was a reminder of that fateful night that made everything between us blatantly clear.

"I tried to." He hissed as he stood and towered over me and I shook my head.

"It doesn't matter anymore. We can't walk down that road again." I turned away from him and looked at Gabriel. "I'm sorry I never told you the truth, but the truth is complicated. I could ask Fate to reassign you a new mate, one better suited."

"Yes we can. I have a protege who is supposed to succeed me." He came over to me and I stepped back.

"Who's Fate?" I blinked as I stared at Gabriel.

"Fate is a powerful witch who has the power to bind and unbind souls." I told him and he frowned.

"Then why don't you unbind your soul from his?" I frowned.

"I can't." I whispered softly.

"Why not?" I looked at him sadly.

"Amber is more things than you see. Binding our soul was a good way of controlling it." Gabriel stood and looked at Thaddeus.

"That's a pack of bullshit and you know it." My eyes widened. "You simply can't let Amber go, I know your type."

"Do you have any idea who you're speaking to welp?" Thaddeus raised an eyebrow and gazed at him.

"No. Nor do I care, as far as I'm concerned, you want Amber back after God knows how long."

"In my lifetime, it hasn't been that long. Fifty-eight years fly by." Gabriel stepped back with his mouth agape and stared between us. "I told you we've been married for seventy years."

"And you left her for 58 years."

"Sit down Gabriel, I'll tell you a story." He looked at me before taking a seat beside Cal.

"You'll need a drink, this isn't a happy story." Nevin mumbled and I turned to glare at him.

"Not helping." He shrugged. "Eighty something years ago, I stumbled upon Tad whilst looking for Sylvie and I hated him. He was too conceited, arrogant and a know it all. But it was to be expected; given his age and experience. Somehow we ended up falling in love with each other and I told him about myself. When I turned 50, my body began doing its own thing. It was like I was a generator that kept giving off magical energy and because Tad was so powerful we thought our best option would be to bind our souls, that way he would be able to frequently absorb the magical energy I was expelling. Chris said I was like a supernova." I paused.

"What do you mean?" Gabriel asked.

"I wear at least 6 scent dampers a day because my smell is so strong. Before if I was cut I would bleed profusely and the blood wouldn't stop for a while. Chris could actually drink my blood, which isn't supposed to be allowed considering genetically I'm still a werewolf. So to control all those magical things we bound our soul together and my scent wasn't as strong and my skin would fix itself faster so too much blood never poured out. But we had a price to pay. When I got pregnant with Nevin the State Coven intervened."

"Who's the State Coven?" Gabriel asked.

"You know like Mother Nature, Father Time, Lady Fate..." Nevin trailed off and Gabriel nodded. "So they belong to the State Coven but basically they are the strongest of each witch from each coven and they are all ruled by a Wiccan who is basically more powerful than all of them."

"Thaddeus is the current Wiccan, and he has been for the past 250 years." Cal gasped and I frowned as Nevin took a drink from the bottle of Scotch.

"So, he's old old." I smiled lightly.

"But I didn't know, he never told me and I never really wanted to know. The Wiccan is like the President, just an overseer. But the covens value their Wiccan more than you would think and they didn't like that he was not only married to a 'mortal' but also impregnated one. No matter how I tried to convince them that I was from a line of werewolves they never believed me because I could never shift." I took a deep breath. "After Nevin was born they kept him busy and away from us, claiming that Nev was an abomination and I was a distraction. What he didn't know was they had set up a plan with Father Time to stall Tad while they killed us." I stopped.

"I was maybe a few days old when mom and I were home chilling, waiting for Uncle Vern to take us out when suddenly the house caught on fire." Nevin laughed. "And not like the stove burst into flames and we out it. Noooo, the entire house literally burst into flames."

"What?!" Gabriel stood shocked and Nevin threw back his drink.

"Their plan was to burn us alive."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys, update days have moved to
Wednesdays. Stay safe my loves.

-gummyfk